New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 163 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2020 :  16:38:36  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Later a man lays his heart on the table. Sets her up on the counter beside the sink. Picks cinders out of her knee with a pair of tweezers sterilized in tequila. His glasses sliding down his nose. "You see it now, don't you," he says.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2020 :  16:43:00  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Dawn light. Inlets where the sea strays silver. She's on her knees Spring-hopeful poking seeds into the ground. "...dependin' how busy we wanna be," he says, barefoot with the blanket over his shoulders. "Okay..." he says. "Let's start with..." Cherry blossoms in the pink park.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2020 :  16:45:01  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
And you everywhere...
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2818 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2020 :  13:54:29  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Darlin, I can't make excuses
For the kind of man I've been.
I've paid so many pipers
for so many deadly sins.
I'm not here making promises
Or trying to change your mind.
Just an old man chasing memories
Before the whiskey makes me blind.

[The girl shouldnta danced like that
There oughtta be a law.
She sent me to the floor of Hell
And I bounced back up for more.]

I never heard your crying
In the middle of the night.
I was busy burning bridges
And making up new lies.
The preacher says you lose your soul
When you sniff the devil's breath
The night's couldn't come fast enough
Until the day you left.

[She shimmies and she shakes that thing
Turns a good man over to wild
I still see that red dress in my dreams
Sometimes I even smile.]

We never had the money
But, baby, we had a time,
Golden Gate Park was hot that day
You were my first song that rhymed.
Those magical days of nineteen
Turned to forty overnight
Things get lost along the road
You can never make them right.

The girl shouldnta danced like that
There oughtta be a law.

[She shimmies and she shakes that thing
Turns a good man over to wild
I still see that red dress in my dreams
Sometimes I even smile.]

The girl shouldnta danced like that
There oughtta be a law.

Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2818 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2020 :  13:57:22  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Weather report says all residents should prepare for high winds and possible tornadoes.
Ok, I’m under the covers.
That should do it.

Edited by - buckman on 04/14/2020 13:58:38
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2818 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2020 :  11:23:15  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
We sat on the back porch drinking coffee waiting for the twilight and the grass to grow thru the dust. She whispered, a sound like a butterfly sighing, and asked what I was thinking about.
Now, Darlin, only now, I said.

Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2020 :  14:58:08  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Long days. Trance afternoons. All that ale-color mica-flecked air. The summer glows on. His breath on the mirror. His raised eyebrow and lit cigarette. His art that leaves smoke on the walls. He turns and quietly closes the door. "...painted it to slow it down..." he says, " ...to see what it was."
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2020 :  15:05:59  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Clouds float in puddles on the beach road. Wet prints down the centerline. The storm moves in closer. Crosses the Bay. El Nino's renegade water. Four corners leaking. Lightning streaking the sky. Tarp and sandbags. Broken horizon. At 5pm the cliff slides and snaps the track like curling ribbon. Soon they're counting candles. "I'm tellin' you now," he says, his palm flat down slicing the air. The ocean's dark prophesy leaning in. "What we need... What we need..." he pauses. "Well that's how it starts," he says laughing.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2020 :  15:08:05  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"Jus' tell the story," he says. "Don't explain it."

Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2818 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2020 :  09:07:09  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I was picked up hitchhiking by Mr Krause, the father of Allison, one of the dead girls, a year after the killings at Kent State. It was an incredible conversation about his growing radicalism. He was on his way to Washington to testify. I was going to demonstrate. It was an interesting ride.

Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2020 :  16:58:17  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Fervent prayers. The ocean's wet ear. Gull-crowded sky. Sun-shined flowers. "Heaven over our heads," he says. A day on the other side of the glass. A day the trees wear crowns. Gold locket watch in his pocket. Pistol snug in his boot down India to the PCH. Ships rocking in the Harbor. Sun setting in the sun dial park. He opens his arms when the lamps come up. Stars unraveling along their spines. "Old paper..." he says, "...save everything. Save it all."
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2818 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2020 :  09:54:15  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
“Beware lest you lose the substance
by grasping the shadow.”
-Aesop

Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2020 :  16:29:24  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"Double features. Warner Pathe news. Red Ryder. The Perils of Pauline. Ghosts in the balcony..." he says, "...plush ruby seats. Eyes wide on the screen. Free popcorn."
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2020 :  18:25:31  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Days gone by...

Cold on a long night in late Spring. Small fires against the foothills. Random shots in the dark. NO TRESPASSING signs. He traces his brow with Braille fingertips. Places the lodge there. Swings onto an unmarked dirt road in the middle of Indian country. His sense of direction uncanny. The wedding celebration starts at sunrise and lasts two days. Med is the tribal chairman's granddaughter. Heart of the reservation. Marrying within the tribe. Though Lucas, her betrothed wears a suit and silk tie and works in a high rise in the city. Roasted squash. Fry bread. Beef and deer meat. Buttery chili corn and smoked abalone. Shaken-jar ice cream with honey. Sunsets in layers. All purple and flame.

Later they make a house in Sage near Lake Skinner. We come for reunion. For love. Fish the weekend away in a place that shines.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2020 :  20:56:31  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"Did you like it there?" he asks. "Close your eyes and tell me what you see." "Episodic," she says. "Little rooms I pass through. My father happy when friends fly in for golf. Raucous laughter. Sweepstakes and Revolution. My mother floating in and out of the frame. Waiting for her face to appear. Scarlet Fever's dark room. Bandage over my eyes. She came and read to me. Thin cotton nightgowns she insisted they change every few hours. Do children still get Scarlet Fever?"
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2020 :  21:01:32  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"...secret place. I'll take you there," she says. "Low fold in the meadow. Lilly of the valley. White and purple violets big as silver dollars. Clear water running over smooth stones. The bank sloped enough to lie quiet watching the sky slide by." "Did you go there alone?" he asks.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2020 :  18:44:42  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"...hot in a kitchen full of steam where the cooks are busy. Lobsters in tanks and on drain boards. Amber liquid cooling in jars. Magic, the cooks say. For chowder or bisque. I sit at a long stainless table. An oversize apron under my chin. Picking seeds out of plump sticky raisins. My fingers are small and quick. My father is smiling. Five shining dimes in his pocket for me. My mother is out on the green lawn by the blue hydrangeas. Her long hair a dark scarf on the wind.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2020 :  18:53:28  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"One more thing..." he says. "...my father singing to put me to sleep. In Dublin's fair city..." "Talk to me," he says. "Nothing left but the Court and the Catholic Church. Too many rules in the room. I know the ferry. The city trains. I know how to check into a hotel. I prayed to Mary for guidance. A gift Brigid said I was too stubborn to earn. Goodbye, Brigid. Decades ago..." His look turns grave. The pitch in his voice drops, "Listen to me..." he says. 'Be ready for this,' she's thinking. "One life many times. Not dead..." he says, "...but new."

Edited by - Ailinn on 06/06/2020 18:54:33
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2020 :  18:56:49  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
There could be shadow galaxies, shadow stars, and even shadow people.

-Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2020 :  16:40:59  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Laurel to India. Past the tattoo shops up to the Park. Sunlight flashed off airborne windshields at Union and State. He drove with his shirt sleeves rolled up. (The archive of information there.) "You don't know what's not until it's not," he said in the coffee shop. "Does that sound right to you?" Water leaped in fountains off El Prado. Technicolor frieze on patio screens. She stirred sugar in a demitasse cup. He said he didn't believe in accident or coincidence. "...You like it here, honey?" he said. His face open. His mind insistent and quick. She drew a map of the towns and directions on the napkins. He put them in his pocket.

Edited by - Ailinn on 07/25/2020 18:14:18
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 163  Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mickey Newbury Web Board © 2003 Mickeynewbury.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000