Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 163 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

buckman
Firefly

USA
2819 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2019 :  08:11:46  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
It was a Chet Baker kind of night in a Leonard Cohen kind of world...

Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2155 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2019 :  17:24:19  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"Twenty-five cents," he says. (The neighbor.) "Hell, it would take me to the movies and buy me popcorn! I was 8... 9 years old. Hottest damn thing, baby. (Hot pepper.) Burned my mouth. But I wouldn't cry. Honey, I wouldn't cry if it killed me. Wouldn't give me the money. 'That's what the world do to you,' he says. A lesson. Well, my lips are all red and swollen. My momma got on him somethin' awful. Put up a fence between us. Later on they was friends though. Those days..." He's rocking on the deck with the blanket over his knees. "I love it when you-" she starts. "I know..." he laughs.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2155 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2019 :  17:29:25  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"Didn't know what I was gonna do," he says. "So restless, ya know."

"Didn't want dull," she says. "Take a deep breath. Deny the terror."

"Somethin' 'bout drivin' long distance alone," he says. ""The car is the world."

"Uh-huh," she says. "...a new convertible. It was borrowed. It was blue."
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2155 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2019 :  17:36:16  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
He's enchanted with strawberries coming out of the fields in February. "Dipped in dark and white chocolate for Valentine's," she says. "Just imagine..." he says. His face shining with pleasure. "It's a California thing," she laughs. Miles of fields beside Interstate 5. A last Denny's before the Camp Pendleton Gate. Stories from the mythic Pacific. "Wake up in the middle of the night..." he says, "...write it all down for me."
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2155 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  18:19:57  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"...Father sprinkles the ground with his aspergillum. I want to do it myself. I need a miracle. 'Sacrilegious girl!' Brigid hisses. I cast a bad spell on her. Three Hail Mary's wipe that slate clean." They're on their knees in spikey ice plant laying new irrigation pipe. The path where the sprinklers don't reach is scorched and brittle. Sunburned flowers. Slow bees. "Did you ever drink Holy water?" she asks him. "I thought it would taste like some divine elixir but it has no flavor at all." He's instinctively resourceful. Mechanically inclined. His hands as bright as his mind. Suddenly sweeping arches of rainbow-hued water appear. "Three Hail Mary's..." he says, "...go on..."

Edited by - Ailinn on 05/07/2020 17:00:01
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2155 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2020 :  17:53:07  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
He's holding them by the edges. Old photographs. "So long... So long ago..." he says. "...Kodak in the Park," she says. "A new crew. Ted, ranting. Frantically waving his bottle of Mateus Rose. New York's Finest on horseback threatening arrest if he moves another bench." He taps the image of a woman with her hair piled on top of her head. "Star. In the trailer with Max Factor and her arsenal of tricks. She draped a cape over my shoulders and offered a Parliament cigarette. Didn't know it was my first. That's mascara. She had to clean me up and start all over again. Later on she laughed, though. 'You need a spanking,' she said. Kindest woman I know." A woman tells stories to a man. Sometimes he closes his eyes. Sometimes he holds her hands. Sometimes he tells her to write them down, "No blank pages," he says.
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2819 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2020 :  19:36:55  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply

I'm hitchin a ride to redemption
On this dark, hot July night
The quarter moon's three nickels short
The neon's not much light
Townes and Zevon feed the engine
Newbury's driving this old train
I find myself smilin a bit
As the sky begins to rain

It seems the rails end up ahead
But Mickey only smiles
He's made this trip many a time
His soul's walked evry mile
So many times I needed an ace
But only drew a seven
Tonight's the night I win the pot
Headin for the last bar in Heaven

At the last bar in Heaven
The shows they never end
You can always find a friend
There's no one getting stoned
It always feels like home

Seems the old friends always find me
When the darkness fills my soul
It doesn't take but a song or two
And I'm feeling almost whole
Forgiveness and redemption's
What my old heart needs tonight
This train I'm on will carry me
From the darkness to the light

The shows will never end
You can always find a friend
There's no one getting stoned
It always feels like home

The shows they never end
You'll always have a friend

Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2155 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2020 :  17:22:49  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The wind picks up. The rain hisses. Sudden ambush in the trees when birds come in low and the temperature drops ten degrees. Lightning when she answers the phone. A crescendo of thunder he can hear on the line. The chimes clashing racket. The trembling edge to it all. She listens in the kitchen as he goes through his litany of precaution. Closes her eyes and lets his voice warm the room.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2155 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2020 :  20:59:38  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
My father hid acorns behind the B&B in the hotel bar. Dark chocolate and almond paste candy. A bribe when I was four or five. He'd drop one in my hand as I was falling asleep beside the cash register. I had to wake up enough to eat it before the chocolate melted. The bar was the last room to close. He'd carry me and Raggedy Ann to bed beside the sea where the stars were mine. He was on the golf course the day I was born. Quoted in the Times, "...and may the next one be a boy. A healthy boy. I'll be needing a caddy in my old age." He was sixty years old. The curtain came down on that life. At the orphanage I'd spend long afternoons hiding in the janitor's closet drawing on my knees. I could hear pots and pans loud in the kitchen where they were looking for me. I wasn't lonely. I was planning escape. One of the older girls found me. "You gonna wind up in Juvie!" she said. "Too emotional," he says laughing, tears in his eyes.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2155 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2020 :  21:04:09  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Chimeric fog. Pepper trees dripping. The cliff path narrow and slippery. They keep walking because they don't want the words to stop. This right-now story. "...here with the angels..." he says. His moonlit face and journey-driven profile. "Too big to think about," she says. "Think of it tomorrow," he says. "Tomorrow an' the day after that..."
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2819 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2020 :  19:25:08  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply

A shadow crossed the moon tonight
Baby's dressed in black
Says she's going south for awhile
Got a notion she won't be back.

Through her eyes I saw the mysteries unfold
Through her eyes I saw unwritten songs
Through her eyes I felt my spirit set free
Through her eyes I saw it all going wrong

The loving was the best of times
The fighting was always the worst
They say the river's rising,
Yet I'm laying here dying of thirst.
We spent it all as we went along
Leaving nothing for the ashes or dust
Now there's nothing left to start a fire
And there's no one left to trust

Through her eyes I saw it all going wrong

The view looking back is so crystal clear
Why can't it be from the start?
If only we could see where we're going
We could save our poor, little hearts.
You get up each morning, you play the game
The sky over the river has changed
The sun is shining, the clouds are all gone
In your heart it still feels like rain.

A shadow crossed the moon tonight
Baby's dressed in black
Says she's going south for awhile
Got a notion she won't be back.

Through her eyes I saw it all going wrong.

Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2819 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2020 :  19:27:33  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
MARGIE PLAYED HER CORNET
For Margaret Beukema - Feb 1928- Jan 2020

Margie played her cornet
at the train station
For the soldiers going off
to fight the war

Her valves froze and her
mouthpiece stuck to her
Lips but she kept on playing anyway

All she ever wanted
was someone to love her forever
and some children
and she would get some of what she wanted

But the girl in the picture
in 1941 had no way to know
Just how hard it would be
and how hard she would have
To work and how much pain
she would have to go thru...

Margaret brings the Dutchman
his coffee and cakes
And they sit by the fire
and pray their boys are safe.

(c) 2005 Hank Beukema.

Go to Top of Page

San Diego
Swinger

508 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2020 :  09:28:13  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"Margaret brings the Dutchman
his coffee and cakes
And they sit by the fire
and pray their boys are safe."

This is beautiful, Hank.

So sorry for your loss.
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2819 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2020 :  12:09:29  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you

Edited by - buckman on 02/11/2020 12:11:32
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2819 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2020 :  12:38:52  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Margaret came upstairs and found him
sitting in the rocker just
looking out the window at a hawk
flying over the yard and
beyond that to the river.
He seemed sad.

She thought of a rhyme...
Eighty two and nothing left to do.
Did he have regrets?
Were they his own or for his sons?
Were they because he had no grandchildren?
Were they because his friends kept dying?

Or was it just a peaceful moment after breakfast
and nothing much was wrong?

Margaret knew.
She shared the same life.

It was a beautiful Saturday morning in March
looking down at the Hudson River.

Nothing much was wrong...

Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2155 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2020 :  20:03:32  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
-The ghost ship Alta adrift on rolling seas beside The Flying Dutchman washes ashore on the rocky coast of my mother's County.

-And the Star of India in dry dock for her once-every-decade inspection returns to berth at the Embarcadero Friday morning. An unscheduled day off from school.

-At the other end of the spectrum... Space X Dragon capsule will launch four "tourists" into orbit 500 to 750 miles above Earth next year. "No professional pilot or astronaut required because the Dragon is autonomous. But passengers will be able to control the spacecraft if required," says Space Adventures spokeswoman, Stacey Tearne. Round trip ticket price approximately $35 million. "Worth every penny and more," from Guy Laliberte of Cirque du Soleil who made a similar trip in 2009.

Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2155 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2020 :  20:11:18  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Ocotillo at flash-point. Cellophane-crackle air. "Desert heat..." he says. "But the nights sneak in and cool quickly. An' nothin' out there is tame or sleeping. Somethin' to keep in your mind." "No Rain Road," she says. "Helicopters dropping hay on the hill when the first fat drops hit the windshield." "Yes..." he says. "Yes!" "Adrenalin rush," she says. "Frisson on the back of my neck and knees." "Smoke on the page..." he says. "Fire."
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2155 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2020 :  20:15:51  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Storm-stained month. Rain in a valley of citrus perfume. Mist in the leaves. Glistening branches. She's listening under cloud glow. Slow drops dripping from the eaves. He leans forward with the tips of his fingers together, elbows resting on his knees. His mouth a straight line. His mind against hers, pressing. "That's the plan..." he says, "...that sound right to you...?"
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2155 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2020 :  16:33:44  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Nantucket water. Wide ocean edged with ports of call. Wise Eamon keeps a shop by the wharves down on Easy Street. He sells old maps and navigational gear. Has a chow dog named Tucson with a head as big as a lion's who follows him everywhere. Tucson has a black tongue and licks ice cream off the cobbles. "Can you keep a secret?" Eamon asks, and I nod my head. "Tucson ran away from the circus," Eamon says, and puts his fingers to his lips. "Don't you tell anyone." Together we walk to the bank Friday afternoons where Tucson jumps up at the teller's window. The teller calls him by name. She's inside a cage and not afraid of him. Sometimes I am.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2155 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2020 :  16:43:19  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Did you have nightmares?" he asks. "There was a great war several years ago," she says. "A few families disappeared from the island. I thought about that. And prayed my three Hail Mary's."

Edited by - Ailinn on 02/26/2020 19:46:55
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 163  Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mickey Newbury Web Board © 2003 Mickeynewbury.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000