New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 163 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2018 :  18:24:47  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Grandview stairs at high tide. "...like stepping into the maelstrom," he said. No plot but to keep him. Alive. Careful as a child on the witness stand, Your Honor. She still rides in cars. Takes the kids for pizza. Lights one white candle in an evening window. Paddles out on the board, sunburned cheek on her arm scanning the wet horizon. So much song in the spindrift she knows.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Z
Windchimer

USA
1819 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2018 :  08:01:36  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Our differences overshadow our humanity, as we exclude others who do not share our opinion. Altruistic religions teach us to do the opposite… to include others… to love one another. This conflict of mind and heart is the eternal war of worldly concern versus transcendent trust. A spiritual schizophrenia.

As prophesized, the battle is accelerating.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2018 :  17:21:57  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply

"Spiritual schizophrenia."
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2018 :  17:31:26  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"...psychotic experience...?" he asks leaning in. "Fever," she says. "Couldn't move my head. Kept my fists closed so life wouldn't leak out of my fingertips. IV's. Rails on the bed. Popsicles in my mouth. Ice blanket. Blood-red sea with truck-size crabs crawling out. Insects with lit cigarettes at the nurses station. Nightmare in every corner. "Meningitis," the docs told me later,'...fried those wires.'" "Do you still have nightmares?" he asks. "Sometimes a flash overrides the system," she laughs. "Parallel experience...our brain chemistry. Write your dreams down..." he says, "...so much disappears when we open our eyes."
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2018 :  17:37:58  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Wheel Inn truck stop off the 10. Dinosaurs. Nomads. Shaman shadows. Midnight gypsies and charlatans. Clairvoyants waiting on Elvis. Steady diet of chicken-fried steak. Sea of semis in the parking lot. CB crackle. Freeway hum. "...some kind of spirit vortex..." she says. He says, " You believe that?" She says, "Don't you?" "Hahaha," he laughs. No safe way around that.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  16:25:20  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Park maintenance on overtime across the road. Men with spikes at their ankles swing palm to palm. Children cheer when the chainsaws roar and heavy fronds hit the ground. The 6pm glides into Palomar. The 7pm takes off on time. Wide wings. Cloud script on the sky. The implacable ocean rolls on. The honeycomb caves fill and empty with the tide. In a kitchen window a stoppered brass bottle. A genie inside loosening the lid.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  16:29:34  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Bright red and yellow houses. Patches of turquoise daubed in. Tijuana hillsides. Farther south apricot flows. Beryl and orpiment. His explanation is angles. Time derailed. The veil drawn across or pulled away. The sleight-of-hand light of this land enchants him. Its wet and dry colors on canvas. Midafternoon glow on his cheekbone when he holds the brush between his teeth and talks around it.
Go to Top of Page

Doug L
Firefly

Canada
5446 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2018 :  00:50:56  Show Profile  Visit Doug L's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Charlie played Triple A in Arkansas, was a teammate of Daffy Dean's a while when Daffy was rehabbing his arm. He made a trip to Vancouver in his thirties, after giving up on his Major League dream, and met Ruth. They were married. I used to sit with them at Nat Bailey Stadium summer nights. I don't think Charlie ever missed a home game. "Has anyone ever hit one over the scoreboard in centerfield," I asked him, after another monstrous fly ball fell short on the warning track. "Only one man," Charlie said, "and that was a kid named Canseco." Charlie pitched batting practice for me for a half dozen years when I was coaching the Monarchs here. Into his seventies, he still had that rubber arm. The kids were in awe of this silver-haired man with the southern accent, bringing the head from behind the L-screen. Old Charlie. He loved the game, loved to teach, to encourage, to mentor. Charlie died last week at the age of eighty-three.
Go to Top of Page

San Diego
Swinger

508 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2018 :  19:01:05  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The children bring flowers with very short stems and put them in my hair. We tell each other stories while we chop and peel in the kitchen and when I tuck them in. The youngest has decided he doesn't need a nightlight anymore. Big new front teeth grin.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2018 :  19:04:09  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"...let's take a run up there right now..." he says. State Route 78. The time machine highway. Lilacs. Wooden sidewalks. Orchards in the sky. The duplicitous nature of fruit trapped in trees.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2018 :  19:18:04  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"Think slow..." he says, "...think out loud." Too much caffeine for slow. "More citrus in the air," she says. "An orange grove then. Almost. Biscayne Boulevard. Pastel motels with plastic patio chairs. Too embarrassed to wear the bathing suit. Walked off set with the cashmere sweater I kept. Oh-oh. This is like Confession..." "Jus' doin' the days..." he grins, "keep talkin'." I had a tutor on Nantucket. Dr. Toomey. He ate Shepherd Pie everyday with the chefs. Visited his sister in Hialeah for racing season. Brought me tiny wooden crates with marzipan oranges inside. Pink flamingo postcards. I had grownup dreams when I was a child. I smoked pretend cigarettes and blew imaginary smoke rings." She shivers when he pops a small lump of brown sugar into her mouth. The kitchen smells of caramel and apples. "No shaved dice..." he says, "...no dark books...no bad cards..."

Edited by - Ailinn on 12/03/2018 17:19:23
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2018 :  18:18:34  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Stone shadows when the car door closes. Late light looping over his profile. It's a long road and not much on it. Sand-smeared mountains. Static. Brink of wilderness. Fast ride with sun running out. Hair wild with windows open. Rush of joy when the rock candy stars blink on. Rebel Gas. Always Open. Brief display on the desert. Two flags proclaiming one country.
Go to Top of Page

San Diego
Swinger

508 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2018 :  17:49:17  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Monday's season change. The RV's leave the campgrounds and make their way north on I-5. Some will return for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Tradition for the brave. In the meantime the beach goes back to the birds.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2018 :  18:03:33  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"...different people with different people..." he says. His quicksilver mind's wide arc at work here. Tower crane on the edge of a skyscraper. Bright image on overexposed film. Dual presence. "...the truth under all the truths..." he says. "Trouble's child when I ran away, the Sisters said. Monsignor sent me to an orphanage on the subway line. A train across the park. You can rescue yourself in a room or... Pray the window you step out of has a fire escape..." she shrugs. It's a dangerous single runway. A narrow corridor. A steep glide slope coming in. The Controller is with you in that air space. And although it's a very big sky He has you in sight all the way.
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2818 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2018 :  22:33:46  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply

I love this old room...

The figurines on the tabletop.
The dusty pictures on the walls,
the white bearded man
that sings his waltzes in the corner.
The friends stopping by on any given night.
The Irish woman who paints with words.

Spin around for me sweetheart,
I love to listen to you dance.

The room goes on forever...

-Rev Buckman

Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2818 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2018 :  22:37:12  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The Floor of Heaven

You thought I was the one who could save you
Even after I lost my mind
These castle walls won't hold the demons back
The clock says it's closing time.

These days I fly so up and down
The poles get further apart
This old planet's spun a lot of miles
Too much beating for one little heart

My cravings got the better of me just
As your walls came down
The time to leave has passed and gone
I just can't find my way out of this town

The floor of Heaven must be leaking
Cause the rain's started pouring in
It seems that cross was such a price to pay
for just a few billion of our sins.

What I can't control I can't accept
And serenity's a place I can't find
Making amends is a tiring chore and
It's driven me out of my mind.

These days I fly so up and down
The poles get further apart
This old planet's spun a lot of miles
Too much beating for one little heart

The floor of Heaven must be leaking
Cause the rain's started pouring in
It seems that cross was such a price to pay
for just a few billion of our sins.

Hank Beukema

Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2018 :  18:27:36  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The wine brought the chefs to the Valle. The chefs brought their kitchens without walls. Wood fired ovens. Fruits and vegetables growing up beside the table. The tourists followed the paradoxical trail. Remote granite-strewn country. Winding dirt roads. Oak trees and olive groves. A lone rolling vineyard. A small house of arches and alcoves. A basket of limes on the table. Garnet votives in niches along the loggia wall. "Burning the house down in Mexico."

Today there's 150 wineries producing 1.5 million cases annually. A brand new hotel on hallowed ground. UberValle Service from Tijuana and Ensenada.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2018 :  18:32:38  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
In spectral Eden a woman plays the radio low and sings in the kitchen. Grass stains on the hem of her apron. Blue sky over the blufftops. Ships shining in the Bay. A man leaning over the Sunday morning news. Angels butter-bright wings at the window. Flash paper days. A lemon tree in the yard. Bougainvillea on fire. So romantic with thorns.
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2818 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2018 :  18:39:59  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Do Not Be So Hard Upon Yourself

There is pain out in the world tonight
And some of it's your very own
Lord, I know you gave it all you had
Somehow that last dream has flown.

Have the spirits all deserted you
Left you to sing your lonesome tune?
Lord, we ask so little and yet so much
Why do the answers never come too soon?

Do not be so hard upon yourself
The world will gladly do that part
Keep what matters flowing freely through your soul
So the truths can reach your heart.

Does it sometimes seem so much to bear
All the work that goes unseen?
Is it the weakest or the strongest ones
That end up going to their knees?

We enter naked and without blame
And day by day we gain and lose
We need the hope our elders promised
We need to find the path to choose

Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2818 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2018 :  18:43:45  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Complications from a few falls. Time will heal. Missed you.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 163  Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mickey Newbury Web Board © 2003 Mickeynewbury.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000