New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 163 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2014 :  18:55:07  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"More fun than a basket of puppies," McKenna says of Rosheen and Lorcan Rye. AKA Scrapper and Mr. Stilts. He turned two December 2nd and she's a year and three months...but the plot is already hatching. I watch them talk with their eyes. She's willful and fearless. He wants to save her. She discovered Mommy's make-up this morning. In her new "Christmas Family Photo" dress. Chin up, with lipsticked eyes and cheeks, she waved away his blanket. Ah, Mr. Stilts, I do feel for you.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2014 :  18:27:58  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
A chilly evening in the twentieth century. They're eating street tacos under a swirl of white stars. Bannered flags over the Mercado. Tourists with credit cards bargaining. Hammered gold earrings. Hand-blown glass. A gemstone Madonna at the check out stand. MasterCard or Visa?

Who's asking the questions at the Blue Shade Motel? Let's see some ID, the guard says. Dawn light through the louvers. Last night's captured dream. Slow days. So much sun.

West-facing windows. Waves beyond fog. Bellwether of things to come. Who are you really? she says.

Angels with Michelangelo noses patrolling the deep end of the pool. And so.

High-steppin' nights in the dirt floor cantinas. Shifting hips sliding in and out of the songs. Flickering candles in iron candlesticks. A saucer of limes on the table.

...now the stars come all night, faintly heard. A wayward whispering. "...what we are...what we know...what we remember..." he says. His indelible words with their long reach disturbing her sleep.

Go to Top of Page

BarbraG
Windchimer

1824 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2014 :  20:40:04  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
She stomped her feet into the ground in anger at her brother, who had died a year before. She said, "He stood right here and told me that this land would never go to anyone else, that it would stay in the family !!! I'm MAD at him !!! I am so mad at him!!" I watched her grief overtake her and watched her lose complete control of all that she is today. I could do nothing to comfort her, because I was mad at him, too ! My sister and I stood together, and took the flag down from the pole that he had raised himself. It was tattered and torn, and ripped by the wind of the last year. But, I wanted it. I wanted it to keep as a final memory of the land that Mom meant for us to have ... Yes, I have the flag... but, the land .... is gone with the wind.

Edited by - BarbraG on 12/11/2014 20:42:02
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2014 :  20:00:04  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
She says, "Mulholland is wild. A divine road that steals." He says, "I'm holding your heart out of harm's way." Fairytale trails above the mythic Pacific. Winter-streaked rose-lit sky. A wall of water rushing into mystery-riven canyons. A wheel barrow full of sandbags in the garage. Sometimes he falls asleep in his clothes remembering arcane Eden.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2014 :  21:37:16  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Footsteps in the parallel world. Criss-crossed and sea-changed. Two foam-edged oceans with blue skies and contagious candles. He loves the climates beyond shuttered windows. Coral sunsets. The palms wind-swayed blades. Salt-dusted shells shivering on fish line. No absurd sorrow. No glittering grief.
Go to Top of Page

BarbraG
Windchimer

1824 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2014 :  00:22:26  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Caution ! when the wind is storming in like an eagle landing in the lake, it is time to stand still. Trouble in the inner, trouble in the outer, and trouble in the in-between. Stall. Keep stalling. Make a little love, and listen to a little music. Put things you fear on a very back burner for a little while. The horses will be here soon enough, carrying the outlaws into the front yard and up the steps of the house that you built with your own hands. Make ready your guns .. for .. theirs will be loaded ! Don't be afraid. Just do what you have to do. And, survive !! God's got your back !
Go to Top of Page

BarbraG
Windchimer

1824 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2015 :  23:00:23  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Strange .. I don't remember writing the post from December 20th... L.O.L. .. Seriously. About the wind and the eagle landing in the lake ... and the horses going up the stairs ... Maybe that was 10mg of Ambien instead of 5 !!!
Go to Top of Page

BarbraG
Windchimer

1824 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2015 :  23:07:29  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Caring too much was her way of living, and trying too hard always brought her down. The more she tried to help others, the sooner they forgot her. Human beings are like that sometimes. Save a dog's life, and it will follow you around forever, laying at your feet and licking your face, and loving you with its' eyes. She thought many times that people could learn a lot from a dog. Someone said .. "The world is going to the dogs" ... She thought, "I wish it would ! And, the sooner the better !"
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

2154 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2015 :  17:49:06  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
It's a rare rainy afternoon and he's got the boxes out on the table poking in the past again. He holds up a deckle-edge photograph. An old school desk with pencil tray and Bakelite inkwell. "...home-schooled before there was home school..." she says, "...in the quilt room with its scent of lavender and bay window full of ocean glare. Dr. Toomey was my kind instructor. Stick-thin and bent over. An inventor. He held several US patents, but his hands were no longer steady and he was slowly going blind. He loved Latin and literature and quoted the classics for the cooks entertainment. He had a sister in Hialeah who he visited during racing season. He brought me a tiny wooden orange crate filled with orange-shaped marzipan and postcards of flamingos. He kept a jewelers loupe in a soft leather case in his jacket pocket. Before he left for the hotel kitchen for lunch...always Shepherd's Pie...he'd set it on the corner of my desk. I was a dreamer more interested in magic than Britannia. I counted on my fingers. I cheated at Cursive. I thought the Amazon was in Africa. But the loupe held a world of its own. It changed things. Up close the bees bumping against the screen looked like a fur stole my mother sometimes wore. The salt collecting in corner webs looked like pictures I'd seen of Antarctica. Japanese beetles were monsters. Rose hips were acres of red. The maids laughed and gossiped and folded lavender in with the linen while I played with prisms on the walls."
Go to Top of Page

Joe Z
Windchimer

USA
1819 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  09:02:53  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I once believed only free-thinkers at the top of the emotional pyramid could understand Newbury. My mistake. My arrogance. The truth is… only the meek buried beneath the full weight of the pyramids can get the man.
Go to Top of Page

San Diego
Swinger

508 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  21:13:05  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"It's really hard trying to explain (Mickey's music). I can't call it 'explain,' but I'd tried to tell Jeanene about the sound of Mickey's voice and the guitar on a good night at the same time. It's hard; you can't do it. It's like from outer space. I've heard about people trying to explain a color to a blind person... there's no way to do it."

-Townes Van Zandt, No Depression magazine, March-April'97.

(Originally posted by Doug a decade ago.)

Love you, Joe. Looking forward to number 2.

PS: ...it's like from outer space...

Go to Top of Page

BarbraG
Windchimer

1824 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2015 :  21:38:18  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Susie or Joe or "anyone" who knew him well.
Was there ever anyone that Mickey dreamed about singing with .. To just pull up a chair and "sing along with him" ..

BarbraG
Go to Top of Page

Joe Z
Windchimer

USA
1819 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2015 :  09:36:53  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Mickey loved the singing of Roy Orbison and Eva Cassidy. But if I were to guess about Mick "dreaming" of singing with another artist, my money would be on Stephen Foster.

Hey, Ro. Love you too.

Go to Top of Page

Joey L.
Swinger

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2015 :  11:59:13  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I would agree with Joe.
Mickey saw no difference in time or place, the world was inter-changeable.

"A song a heart can come home to."

All because ...

Inquiring minds knead da dough, y'know! cuz ... 'the Future's Not' ...
Go to Top of Page

San Diego
Swinger

508 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2015 :  19:43:58  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"Mickey saw no difference in time or place, the world was inter-changeable."
Go to Top of Page

Craig
Firefly

Kyrgyzstan
3793 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2015 :  06:03:59  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by San Diego

"Mickey saw no difference in time or place, the world was inter-changeable."

A shared commonality. Now is then, then is now. Not much different than Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse Five". Memory is the deciding factor.

Go to Top of Page

San Diego
Swinger

508 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2015 :  08:38:23  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"...one world away from way back then when..." -MSN

Mornin', Craig. What's cookin'?

Out into the bumper-to-bumper.
Go to Top of Page

Craig
Firefly

Kyrgyzstan
3793 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2015 :  05:19:48  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by San Diego

"...one world away from way back then when..." -MSN

Mornin', Craig. What's cookin'?

Out into the bumper-to-bumper.

"Be careful who you tell your secrets to."
Go to Top of Page

San Diego
Swinger

508 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2015 :  19:29:01  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"...and no sunglasses after midnight..."
Go to Top of Page

San Diego
Swinger

508 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2015 :  18:28:46  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you, Joe. For keeping the candle lit.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 163  Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mickey Newbury Web Board © 2003 Mickeynewbury.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000