New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 150 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

San Diego
Rocker

435 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  19:55:48  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
My daughter-in-law Kelly is going to culinary school in Baltimore. Her and our son David are visiting in San Diego. We have six Surf Camp Kids every night for dinner and sleep-over the next two weeks. No sooner is supper served and they're famished for snacks. Snacks? Alario is the spokesman. The youngest at 12, and designated beggar. "Potato skins with bacon and cheese. Ya know. Phish Food, Cherry Garcia, Chunky Monkey." He grins his Alario grin. This is also the annual Eat-A-Bug weekend. Eat-A-Bug Cafe with "live" cooking demos and "skewerd samplings". Hmmm. Culinary school, delectable insects, and a houseful of hungry kids... Sounds like Kismet to me.
Go to Top of Page

Gloria
Rocker

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  05:59:15  Show Profile  Visit Gloria's Homepage  Edit Reply  Send Gloria an AOL message  Send Gloria a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I remember way back as a child.
We raised rabbits and they ate a special diet of oatmeal with various other items in it. One of the items seem to have attracted maggotts. My brother had a few friends over one night and got up the next day for breakfast. He mixed up the wrong batch of oatmeal for his friends...needless to say they turned a strange color of green when they noticed the oatmeal was moving around in the food.
Gloria

http://freewebs.com/gloriacomingore
http://www.thestarlitecafe.com/poets/Gloria
http://www.myspace.com/gjcomingore
Go to Top of Page

San Diego
Rocker

435 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  17:34:45  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Gloria, we also have wild rabbits. A rapidly growing family. They won't eat carrots or green cabbage. They eat purple cabbage and bird seed. Stu is trying to get them to eat on the patio. Tell me about your brother's oatmeal mix. Was it cooked or dry? What did he add to it? It's a zoo here with company and the Surf Camp Kids and Mirella's three Akita pups.

I enjoy your postings.

Roisin
Go to Top of Page

Gloria
Rocker

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2008 :  05:56:52  Show Profile  Visit Gloria's Homepage  Edit Reply  Send Gloria an AOL message  Send Gloria a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sorry can't remember what all my parents put in the mix. I do remember raw rolled oats as the main item. You might get a hold of a local vet and see if they have any suggesstions.
However who ever heard of them not eating carrots? Too funny.
Gloria

http://freewebs.com/gloriacomingore
http://www.thestarlitecafe.com/poets/Gloria
http://www.myspace.com/gjcomingore
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1596 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2008 :  17:46:35  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Three Border Stories

1. A snatch of rain spattered the pane. A confusion of branches under cloud-swollen skies. A night without stars. Stormy weather. "Gone are the days when I couldn't wait to hear what I had to say," he said sipping his syrup-thick coffee. "Just keep talking," she said stuffing rags into bottles filled with gasoline. Seven cypress stood guard over what was left of Eden. Things happened," he said, "but not accidentally."
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1596 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2008 :  17:50:16  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
2. "You an' me!" he said. He was angry. She was stirring pinto beans in a black pot at the boarded-up frontera cafe. Her heavy books stacked on the counter between the rusty condiment caddy and sticky fly-paper strips.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1596 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2008 :  17:54:26  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
3. The sun dipped below the horizon. Still a prophet in the province of the heart, he cajoled and he scolded. "Listen..." he said finally, lighting the last amber lamp. It was a Saturday evening in a village of church bells and chickens. He was clean-shaven in a shining white shirt. "...people find their own way in the story." Dust motes settled on the broken tile. Frail dreams resurrected.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1596 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2008 :  17:55:42  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
...the calliope plays all day off Revolucion.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1596 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  19:27:55  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
We go out together into the staring town
And buy cheese and bread and little jugs with
flowered labels

Everywhere is a tent where we put on our whirling
show

A great deal has been said of the handless serpents
Which war has set loose in the gay milk of our
heads

But because you braid your hair and taste like
honey of heaven
We go together into town to buy wine and
yellow candles.

Kenneth Patchen
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1596 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  19:30:15  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.

William Shakespeare
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1596 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  19:29:00  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
He rode three days across the high desert
When he arrived he knew everything
He showed me a card trick
He told me a joke
He told me to keep away from the window
When I took the bullet out of his chest
He didn't flinch or change his expression
He made me lay down beside him
His sleep was ahead of the posse
Our fingerprints disappeared
When we reached the Mexican border
He has scars that shine in the moonlight
Brighter than the rest of his skin
His eyes are blue
And his hair is bluer
But I can't tell you what he looks like
It was dark
Or his hat was pulled low
And his mouth was covered
With a bandana
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1596 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  18:01:03  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
My daughter-in-law, Kelly is experimenting with peppers. California born and raised, she's an expert on chips and salsa. Staples for the Surf Camp crowd winding down their two week stay here. Fresh or fire-roasted? Jalapeno or serrano? Stemmed and seeded or chunky whole? Proportions of lime juice and color of onions? Mick used to call between 5 and 6pm. My legitimate escape from the kitchen.

PS I was curious about a song once and I asked him. With glasses sliding down his nose, his double-take look and tough, unexpected twenty questions. My heart fell out of my chest then. Goodbye heart, I said.

He called the Board "One great international support group."

I miss him every day.
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  18:34:28  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
God, but I loved watching Martina walk.

Especially in those high heels.

Back.
Back before even I knew her.
Back before that first time.
Back before I gave up everything for her.
She would walk by and you could follow the eyes
and heads as they followed her.
But, one day it was me she walked towards and
it was all over for me and my old heart...
A lifetime of living and dying in thirteen years.
And I never once doubted if she loved me...

I mean, All she had to do was walk away...

God, but I loved watching Martina walk.
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  17:07:09  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Nobody can hear you screaming
from the other side of the river.

Screaming didn't help.
Praying might have, but he had picked the wrong God
and he seemed to be occupied elsewhere.
It was all gone.
Whatever pieces of his soul that were left in 92
drove away in a black SUV in 03.
He dove into the crystal clear waters of evil
and came out the other side and
stood on a beach where the sickly, sweet smell
of the air made him think he could live there.
As long as he had his canteen filled with Jameson's
and his knapsack full of pills, he even believed it.
He was wrong.
And screaming didn't help.

Nobody can hear you screaming
from the other side of the river.

Go to Top of Page

Grania
Rocker

104 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  17:54:25  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Dear Reverend B~

Keep growling, sweet preacher man.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1596 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  18:14:16  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
In the ancient Province of Leinster the fog came to Earth thick as lambs wool. Stirred the branches and lifted the shore birds into the sky where they wheeled and cried above them. Friday nights, after a week's toil in the city, they struggled into heavy wool cloaks and made their way across the craggy cliffs to Durrow. The moon's porcelain cup spilled its nacre light on the small house on Lichen Rock Road. The climb is effortless now.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1596 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  18:18:09  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Louvered light through the blinds strikes the floor at precisely the right angle. His voice in the kitchen speaking of Dublin's trade. "...but not for you..." A fugue of words from his mouth of invention. His quirky magic and heavy hair where gravity holds them spinning in place with the fatal world turning around them.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1596 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  18:21:46  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Salvation is a ship in the harbor.
Go to Top of Page

Doug L
Firefly

Canada
5421 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  23:13:49  Show Profile  Visit Doug L's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
...And don't think the garden loses its
ecstasy in winter. It's quiet, but
the roots are down there, riotous..."

Rumi
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  11:08:26  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
We were sitting by the river watching the geese run from Ranger Dave and
Melinda said, Can we talk?

I said, what's on your mind, honeypot?

She said, What's up with you this summer?
I mean, you're driving that little SLK convertible,
buying plants every other day and
listening to a lot of Broadway tunes...

I said, you really have to come to grips
with your stereotypes problem...
And, Jesus, if You're questioning my sexuality,
where the Hell does that leave us?

No, no, Nanette, she said, I'm not sayin nuthin,
I'm just sayin how it looks; I mean if the dress fits, wear it....

I said, Look, I am not comfortable even discussing this
with you in this day and age....
[and much to my shame, I trotted out an old joke]
I don't have a gay bone in my body, sweetie....
Well,Ok, maybe one...
I said, Listen, put it to rest, will ya?
I'm about as gay as John Wayne...

She said, wasn't his name Marion?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 150  Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mickey Newbury Web Board © 2003 Mickeynewbury.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000