New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 149 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Ailinn
Windchimer

1578 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  18:46:50  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Just up ahead is the Lost Hotel where you check in by the season. The reason I suppose is the view. And the one who is waiting for you. Patiently waiting. Who'll tell you how people get broken and partially fixed. Just a little piece of the puzzle missing. Grey cardboard where there used to be blue.
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2007 :  08:32:11  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I took my cardboard suitcase, held together with duct tape and headed from my parent's house at eighteen looking for the Hotel America. Evryone else had backpacks and sleeping bags so they called me a beat. I had seen and known the "beatniks" in Greenwich Village and it was a badge of courage to me as I crossed America five times on foot in the next years...

Rev Buckman

http://www.mytown.ca/outsiders/beukema/
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2007 :  08:33:42  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Stacked high
my past lives and memories sit among my many old books...

If I have absolutely nothing to read or keep me busy
I will sometimes wade into them and pick one out...

It is important to have something new to read

And to stay busy...

Hank Beukema [47 Days in The Light]

http://www.mytown.ca/outsiders/beukema/
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2007 :  08:36:59  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks be to Ro, Craig, Duke, AussieD, JoeZ and now, wonderfully, Barbara and all of the others that have made this page a continuing, flowing,comforting place to be... It is important to read the words of another's heart without the trappings of the world's filters...

I bow to the holy artist in you all...

Hank
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1578 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2007 :  14:18:30  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Reverend B~

Red right returning. Three bells.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1578 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2007 :  14:29:11  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"The blade had crossed me throat and left its mark there. 'I thought you were dead' most people said when they met me. I was just another busker drownin' in Dublintown. Then I found me a life in the edit." He nods to the woman on the seawall with the long, fly-away hair. Lean John with his green brogue and Dubliner's intuition. "Cobblestone and neon, nah!" He spits and shakes his head and sips his coffee, thick as a cup of crude. In San Diego he plays on the boardwalk with Samson. The big guy who does the stone sculptures. That balancing art that defies wind and imagination. They've got a good thing going, too. Lean John knows how to kick up the tempo when Samson is working the stones. John's wife is tossing bits of Kettle Korn to the gulls while watching the tourists pull into the Hotel Del. "Gonna be a swell weekend!" she says.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1578 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  20:34:47  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
They're doing Show-and-Tell down at Sunrise. Sharing their 'How I got here' stories. Robber's writing everything down. "If you're writin' a book there, girl, make it a mystery and leave my chapter out. By God, you'll have us all makin' key chains soon!" McKenna says, and slides his chair closer to Elise's. "If you're not participating you may quietly leave the room," Alma Cottswold says, looking down her fine patrician nose. Alma's angry and feeling jilted. She's not planning on making friends with Elise soon either. "Sheesh!" McKenna says, winking at blushing Elise, "sure looks to be one long hot summer here."

Edited by - Ailinn on 05/28/2007 20:41:06
Go to Top of Page

Craig
Firefly

Kyrgyzstan
3744 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  21:42:17  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"It smells like Delcambre!" Ryan exclaimed.

We went to the outfall today, down by the docks. The cleansing rains of the weekend awakened the smells familiar to the watermen, those that make their living from the inland waters on the edge of the saltgrass marsh. These are the waters of Black Duck Bay, Fat Rat Pass and Vingt Et Un.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Craig
Firefly

Kyrgyzstan
3744 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  21:09:33  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v168/clubleaf206/santacruzsunset.jpg
Go to Top of Page

BarbraG
Windchimer

1802 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  00:46:11  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The sea is crashing angrily against the shore and, as it snarls back into its bed, it sucks the very rocks themselves from the bank, leaving a wide and lonely looking, newly landscaped, almost rockless shoreline. The erosion is instant. The wonder of the beach, pristine in its beauty and its glory, is no more. The sea keeps on its backward track, as if it can't face what it's done. It has taken a thing of beauty and destroyed it, for many seasons to come. Someone once said, "a thing of beauty is a joy forever, its loveliness increases"........ Well, maybe one day. Maybe the children will get to see it restored someday. Then, they can know what the fascination is that drives fully matured adults back to the oceans again and again. Back to the glorious beauty of a blood red sun setting behind the dark blue rolling waters that line the horizon and make the earth look flat. It's only from high above the waters that the earth looks round, and we all know that is an illusion orchestrated by NASA, to add to our wonder of nature, and reinforce the idea that we walked on the moon. Or, did we? Why haven't we walked on it again if we walked on it --- what was it -- almost 50 years ago? We are a gullible people, aren't we? Russia shot down one of its own satellites a couple of weeks ago. Or, did they?
Did you see it with your own eyes? I didn't.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1578 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  17:58:35  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
They worked in a room at the top of the house overlooking red roofs and round chimneys. Each evening he called her to witness the view. The sea was a part of the scenery. And the white sails in the harbor, too. In summer their days were sun full. In winter there was the slanting rain. They kept their duffel diligently packed and their navigation charts rolled in the old mirrored dresser. One day the wind blew a blizzard of small branches against the mullioned window. They hurried down the path to the flagstone seawall. Their dreams ran ahead of them, anxiously glancing back over their shoulders. In the harbor, crews were pulling the sails down at the first small craft warnings. And from the Coast Guard more dire news as the clouds came greyly down. He cast off the lines then. He took up the tiller. He steered her out into the open sea.
Go to Top of Page

Jonmark
Windchimer

USA
1782 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  20:59:34  Show Profile  Visit Jonmark's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
“Cut that damn TV off...” Gene growled.
His wife stabbed at the buttons on the remote control.

“How can they be so reckless? Get a few ‘expert’s on
tape… call it a ‘documentary’ and all of the sudden, a
few hundred thousand of us made the whole thing up! ”

Leslie knew the storm would pass. As surely as the one
that was kicking up outside.
She’d seen it before.
She knew he was more hurt than angry.
But she still felt for him.

He had been the last stand in that dark cold place.
The last to risk his pink little behind to do his bit.
It all seemed noble to him back then… being a Cold
Warrior.

“Why the hell don’t they talk to CalTech, MIT, Stanford?!
The material we gave them is still rewriting text books,
for goodness sake…” , his voice trailing off as he headed
to the kitchen for a beer.

“… and the Russian’s… they tracked us all the way
out and back with their own stuff. Why would anyone
believe they’d let us get away with that?”

Deep down, it doesn’t really surprise him though.
No one really even gave a damn at the time.
It was, after all, the sixth time the “stunt” had been pulled off.
The twentieth century’s biggest and most expensive anti-climax.

Still, it seems like yesterday to him.
The vision of the blue marble rising over the South Massif
that day at Taurus-Littrow.
He could hide it completely with his gloved thumb.
Imagine, everything and everyone that ever existed...
Now you see it… now you don’t.

Now he’s just an old man.
His defining moment… discarded.
A crazy old man.. or worse… a scoundrel.

“Aww...what the hell”… he thinks, as he settles back into his
LazyBoy.
“I know I was there damnit… they can’t take that from me.”
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1578 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  19:01:44  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
for Joe Z

We need the shadows to know the sun.

~Mickey Newbury~
Go to Top of Page

Joe Z
Windchimer

USA
1766 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  10:00:50  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
“Come out of the cave,” she said, “and meet Godot.”

“We been waitin’ for you” he said, stepping from the shadows. “The night don’t bother Cortelia none, but then neither does the day. As for me and my kin, I believe we were sidetracked.”
Go to Top of Page

Doug L
Firefly

Canada
5421 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  15:17:48  Show Profile  Visit Doug L's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
There's a dark house the sun doesn't enter
A place where the light's not allowed
A shadow that tightens your center
And sets you apart from the crowd
Old spirits come for you later
They press and apply quite a force
Believing they'll help you go straighter
But crooked's the natural course
Crooked's the natural course

http://www.myspace.com/mickeynewbury
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1578 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  18:51:38  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
He's talking about time before they knew it was finite. His eye on the horizon and the fire-scarred fields. The haze of palo verde. A green fog that blankets the hill. The evening jasmine shimmering. The fault-line shivering beneath their feet. "I'm holding your heart out of harms way," he says.
Go to Top of Page

Grania
Rocker

104 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  19:11:55  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
What did we do yesterday?
Go to Top of Page

Craig
Firefly

Kyrgyzstan
3744 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  14:23:12  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"Yesterday’s gone like the ocean
Taken by the tide
Like the night in the morning
Like a bird when she flies
Yesterday’s gone and it’s only now
A place where today used to be
Lost in the space of forever an eternity"

~ Mickey Newbury
Go to Top of Page

BarbraG
Windchimer

1802 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  23:20:54  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"Peace at any price is no peace at all".

Dr. Phil
Go to Top of Page

BarbraG
Windchimer

1802 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  01:27:31  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hallways are dark and empty in hotels on the top floor in the middle of the night. Too dark. Too empty. A door opens and history begins again in the shadows near the stairs. It's eerie. And, at the other end of the hall, even eerier. The man is 7 or 8 feet tall, in my mind, as he tiptoes from his room. He seems to be walking toward me, but I can see that he can't see me. That doesn't mean he can't "feel"
me as I stare at him in horror. I recall a movie I saw ... The Shining ... a few years ago. A crazy movie, with Jack Nicholson.
And, you know how crazy Jackie can be when he's being crazy. Surely,
he must be afraid to meet himself in a dark alley when he's lost it.
Nuts. The man is nuts. That's Jack !! But, who is the stranger in front of me, just inches away from my door. Inches away from me!!
Inches away from my little dog. I'm shaking and I don't know what to do. Somebody help me. Please ??
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 149  Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mickey Newbury Web Board © 2003 Mickeynewbury.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000