Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 153 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  05:45:19  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
[Hard, rock-beat, fiddles, guitars...hear it]

SHUT THE DAMN THING DOWN

There was a give up side to me
Just yearning to be free
Of the trials and the grief
Not tryingto stay afloat
Not even working on the boat
Climbing mountains just to fall
Not caring if I lost it all

[Line Spoken]
Lookin for a better way to crawl...

Thinkin only of my self
Ruined my friendships and my health
Never looking down the road
Nothin to give or have or hold
Like a man whose dreams were sold

[Line Spoken]
Somewhere 'tween young and old...

And I sang:

Hey, can you carry me to the end
Don't wanna see what's round the next bend
Don't wanna kick out no more lights
Spend any more sleepless nights
I'm so tired of all the cars
I wanna sing the final bars
Don't wanna see more of this town
Don't want nobody comin round
Don't wanna hear a sound

[Line Shouted]
JUST SHUT THE DAMN THING DOWN...

But one day somebody took my side
Helped me up and made me ride
No more to walk alone
Some days I think I'm home
Building dreams made to last
Not going half as fast

[Line Spoken]
Not livin the future in the past...

I've got strength for just today
And that's the only game I'll play
No more tears on my face
I'm back in the human race
I'm gonna get me a taste

[LinesSpoken]
Forget the years I wasted
Forget the years I wasted...

[Line Shouted]
No more singing:

Hey, can you carry me to the end
Don't wanna see what's round the bend
Don't wanna kick out no more lights
Spend any more sleepless nights
I'm so tired of all the cars
I wanna sing the final bars
Just shut the damn thing down
Don't wanna see this town
Don't want nobody comin round
Don't wanna hear a sound

[Line shouted]
JUST SHUT THE DAMN THING DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hank Beukema - revbuckman music - 2007

http://www.mytown.ca/outsiders/beukema/

Edited by - buckman on 05/05/2007 05:48:04
Go to Top of Page

Doug L
Firefly

Canada
5425 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  09:26:42  Show Profile  Visit Doug L's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
No love is ever lost
No love is ever lost

Old ground is explaining
all the colours of the spring

The kettle we weren't watching
now begins to sing

No love is ever lost
No love is ever lost

DL

http://www.myspace.com/mickeynewbury
Go to Top of Page

Doug L
Firefly

Canada
5425 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  09:36:21  Show Profile  Visit Doug L's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Henry, because of you my boat
rides higher in the water this morning.

http://www.myspace.com/mickeynewbury
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  04:00:45  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I sit in the dark
At a table in the back
Of the saloon...

I told him he should have killed me
The first time he saw me,
I told him he would never win,
I told him that despite my past
And the women that
My heart was pure and I would
Always be stronger than him...

He laughed and said
Maybe so, Preacher
Maybe so
And turned and walked out...

I took the gun that I'd been holding
Under the table and laid it down and
Picked up the cup of coffee...

I listen to the sound of the horses stirring
And the dust blowing down the street...
The night is turning cold...

REV BUCKMAN

http://www.mytown.ca/outsiders/beukema/

Edited by - buckman on 05/13/2007 04:01:27
Go to Top of Page

Doug Lang
Swinger

Canada
1135 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  23:15:23  Show Profile  Visit Doug Lang's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"The movie ended for me when she holds the lion beast in her arms
and looks into his eyes, something he's told her never to do.
That's what I see as fulfillment, when she sees that he is an animal,
not a disguised man, an animal trying to raise himself, impossibly,
to a human level. Not that enchantment gave him bestiality, but
the opposite: that enchantment can force the beast of self to try
to dress, live, love like a man, beyond his nature, and thus become
more beautiful to a woman than any manly form could ever be. That's
what I loved about the movie... Women, myself, we need to love a
beast, to feel that it could transcend itself for love, for us, for beauty."

Diane Wakoski, writing after Cocteau's film

http://www.myspace.com/dukelang
Go to Top of Page

aussiedave
Swinger

Australia
506 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2007 :  06:08:28  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Send aussiedave a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
..a distant memory
captured in time
suspended,
out of reach

faster,faster
farther,farther

wait for me
father

that he never knew..

a lonely hand waves
goodbye
from the ghost car
as it disappears into the night..
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1658 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  13:53:50  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
This morning at Sunrise Retirement Elise is telling her story: "Everything bad happened so fast," she says, quietly reciting her litany of sorrow. "I lost my husband when the Union voted to strike. Oh, he didn't die until two years later, but it was the Union that did him in. No doubt. The first few months he went about visiting the other men. Three hundred of them. And less than thirty found work. Less than thirty. Imagine that. Some tried to hold on and wait it out. Some pulled up stakes and left the state with their families. Some left their families behind with the state. Lonnie Ferguson did. After the drink. A bitter road for Merle and the kids. Not my Gil, though. I begged him to quit making those rounds, but that's how he dealt with the time and the guilt. And what else did he have to do with his days, now? I still had my job at Bridal Boutique. I was head seamstress then and could carry us for a while. And we had that bit of savings put by for a special anniversary trip. Our forty-sixth. "We're as gold as we're ever gonna get," Gil loved to tell the kids. We were borrowing my brother Ben's motor home and taking "an-honest-to-God-real-vacation." Gil had his triple A maps spread out all over the dining room table. And his Sharpie red marking pen. Nights we'd drink tea and he'd tell me about our upcoming adventures. "Oh, Lise, we'll have such fun!" Gil said, "we'll do it up real swell!" After the strike, though, Gil put the maps away and took refuge behind his Journal Tribune. Then my hands started giving me trouble. First the right one and then the left. Arthritis, I guess. Another form of bad weather. A fabled trouble we didn't deserve..." Her voice trails off here when Robber carries in the trays of fresh strawberry shortcakes. And here's the grandkids. All spit-and-polished for the occasion. And right behind them, Elise's daughter Eileen and son-in-law Wes. Recently reconciled and 'determined to work things out'. "Ladies first!" McKenna says, in his new Costco shirt, and hits Elise's shortcake with a burst of canned whipped cream.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1658 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  14:01:53  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Landing in San Diego is between high-rise buildings downtown and the ocean at the end of the runway. Reason enough to kiss the ground. And today is a party. Mirella's spicy pecadillos. Tiny tacos. Little sins. And her infamous Tres Amigos Salsa. "Bloody hot!" Gordon yells and grabs the pitcher of margaritas. Gordon and his family are visiting from England. They're life-long friends of my daughter-in-law, Kelly. Mirella's three friends are habenero,serrano, and jalapeno peppers. Tossed with chopped tomatoes, a fistful of cilantro and the juice from a couple of limes. "Serve with a fire extinguisher," Mirella says laughing, "you'll get used to eating food that hurts!"
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1658 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  20:08:11  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
We're working late so it will take days to catch up, but...

Doug~ I love O Mystery and Rumi's Last Cigarette. I'm using your instructions for italics Scotch taped to my computer.

Reverend B~ The horses snort and stamp and sleep on three legs while the music in the Cantina plays on and on for us.

Joe Z~ Your heart's work is amazing! "He mixes generes in the same song..." He mixes subjects in the same sentence. "Ya know the old ship-talkin' dot-dash stuff...lights blinkin' off the coast...Morse Code, Ro. Well, now... Let's talk about this, then..." And he changes the subject completely. Life on many levels of consciouness at the same time. Not a day passes by I don't miss him.

Go to Top of Page

Craig
Firefly

Kyrgyzstan
3753 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  02:11:46  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Fog horn mourning in the distance, a ship slowly passes through the light haze of twilight just before the dawn.

"Was that a dot or dash I saw?" The old bosun's eyes and mind aren't as bright as they used to be...

craig
Go to Top of Page

Joe Z
Windchimer

USA
1784 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  06:46:31  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Me too, Ro. Me too.

Love ya,

Joe

Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1658 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  18:39:20  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
They're in haunted Heaven. Sunshine everywhere. The air heavy with fragrance and birdsong. Distracting at first, but you get used to it. And it's his recipe after all. She's slicing apples in the pearly kitchen. That once forbidden fruit. He's trying to hold body and soul together when she sees him crossing the leaf-blown yard. Waving his way between the smoke trees and the veils of green mesquite. A radiance showing through the hole in his left breast pocket. When he opens the door she drops the cinnamon sticks, and the knob of nutmeg too. There's the familiar shine of salt and sealight where his footsteps touch the floor. Ash in his hair and on his shoulders. Honey on his tongue.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1658 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  18:42:27  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"...and lights. We want lights on the patio. Lots of lights, baby. Lots of lights..."
Go to Top of Page

Joe Z
Windchimer

USA
1784 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  08:05:20  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Rev Buckman wrote this passage on page one of this wonderful thread:

There is so much more behind you than
you are apt to meet up ahead
that there is nothing
or no one to fear anymore...
Your strength and resolve,
what little you have left,
is not of your making,
it has come from
somewhere else,
but it carries with it a price,
a responsibility that you have ignored for
too long now...
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1658 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  22:19:07  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Joe~ Mick once said our past here was longer than our future. His emphasis was on here which he believed was just a moment's passing. "A blink in the big picture." We also talked about boats and fishing that day. I told him everything I knew about fishing was what I read in Ray Carver and Hemmingway. Then we talked about fish having souls. Or birds and other creatures. Even inanimate objects. "...this pen," he said, "...and this turkey sandwich..." and he laughed his gravelly laugh. His curiosity was a marvel but his laugh was something to behold.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1658 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  22:25:11  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Reverend B~

"The story may stop...but the love will continue...forever."

~Mickey Newbury~
Go to Top of Page

Joe Z
Windchimer

USA
1784 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  15:00:29  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
“Hold your horses,” says the guest, interrupting the desk clerk. “If bad guys lie below and cherubs stay above, then I know exactly where we are.”

The De JaVu Inn desk clerk looks the guest up and down and answers calmly, poker-face eyes giving nothing away. “It’s your choice, sir. We’re booked years in advance.”
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1658 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  18:36:18  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
You know the place. You've seen the road before on your way to somewhere else. Pavement Ends the sign says.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Z
Windchimer

USA
1784 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  10:47:38  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Where the highway ends, she said “Ciao, baby.” As she went a whiter shade of pale, I heard her say, “Been this way so many times I don’t know if I’m coming or going.”

Edited by - Joe Z on 05/26/2007 07:18:15
Go to Top of Page

BarbraG
Windchimer

1815 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  17:54:15  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Is who I am who I want to be ?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 153 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mickey Newbury Web Board © 2003 Mickeynewbury.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000