New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 157 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Ailinn
Windchimer

1757 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  19:31:13  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
1st Witness:

I bring the water up the hill. Two full buckets. Cold and mineral heavy. I leave them in the deep grass by the gate. Cover both with board and stone as he instructed.

2nd Witness:

The fog clears mostly by mid morn. Enough to see the crumbling wall through. Fallen down in some places. Overgrown with long gray ghost grass in the corners. Me wife tol' me to stay away, sure. Aye, but then, man- The fey seer pays a coin or two for the daily spyin'. An' it must be everyday. No give in him on that one. An' no harm done neither! Why, mostly I don' see them. You'd never know there's the place up there, what with them trees bowin' down an' ferocious wind blowin' like Purgatory.

3rd Witness:

A sorry lass from the Wordless Clan. A burden and no help at all.

What's that there, now?... In the corner?... 'Tis a strange day, this 33rd.
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  16:26:13  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The Fiddler of Dooney

When I play on my fiddle in Dooney.
Folk dance like a wave of the sea;
My cousin is priest in Kilvarnet,
My brother in Mocharabuiee.
I passed my brother and cousin:
They read in their books of prayer;
I read in my book of songs
I bought at the Sligo fair.
When we come at the end of time
To Peter sitting in state,
He will smile on the three old spirits,
But call me first through the gate;
For the good are always the merry,
Save by an evil chance,
And the merry love the fiddle,
And the merry love to dance:
And when the folk there spy me,
They will all come up to me,
With "Here is the fiddler of Dooney!"
And dance like a wave of the sea.

-William Butler Yeats (1865-1939)

http://www.mytown.ca/outsiders/beukema/
Go to Top of Page

Doug L
Firefly

Canada
5427 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  18:36:49  Show Profile  Visit Doug L's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
When you are old and grey and full of sleep,
And nodding by the fire, take down this book,
And slowly read, and dream of the soft look
Your eyes had once, and of their shadows deep;

How many loved your moments of glad grace,
And loved your beauty with love false or true,
But one man loved the pilgrim soul in you,
And loved the sorrows of your changing face;

And bending down beside the glowing bars,
Murmur, a little sadly, how Love fled
And paced upon the mountains overhead
And hid his face amid a crowd of stars.

William Butler Yeats

http://www.myspace.com/mickeynewbury
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  21:03:27  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The rain comes and changes
Nothing...
I must still face that
which threatens to
take it all away...
They say that time
ia the healer but
I am out of time...
As I face him in the dusty street
Evrything we have built
Depends on my right hand...
I feel the rain on my face as
I see his eyes change...
I see the flash of his fire as
I hear the sound of my gun...

Nearer my God to Thee...

Rev B

Go to Top of Page

San Diego
Rocker

456 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  21:19:00  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Article in the San Diego Union Tribune.

"RATTLESNAKES UNDERFOOT San Diego has more bites than anywhere else in the state. In late summer rattlesnake babies are born and are harder to see so there's more chance of running into one. Remember, rattlesnakes are important members of our natural community. They will not attack, but they will defend themselves. Don't try to capture them for pets. When you touch snakes you better expect to be bit. Most bites aren't accidental but involve intoxication and/or a dare, like the 26 year old man who tried to kiss a rattlesnake and ended up being bitten on his lower lip. Bite victims should go to a hospital emergency room where they will be given antivenin. To avoid being bitten, if it's rattling, back off. And don't try to kiss it."

Frogs, now... That's a different story.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1757 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  21:34:25  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Early Sunday morning he's asleep at the table. His head bowed. His scorched Almanac open under his curved fingers. Pools of candle wax cooling. Beside him the children prop their chins on wing-spread palms and doze on their sharp pointy elbows. Soon he awakens and in a blue blink takes the conversation to the place where they trip over clouds. Where a dozen high doors fly widely open. He measures a world with the spread of his arms. Invites them to step across the threshold. The sky brightens beyond him immediately. The sun starts its inevitable climb.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1757 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  18:40:30  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
There's a retirement home at the bottom of our hill with "a special neighborhood for the memory impaired". It's been there three or four years but we still call it new. Very beautiful. Gazebos and brick pathways edged with high flowers. Saturday nights they have dances. Musicians in white tux jackets bussed in on a Cloud 9 Shuttle. There's a traffic light at the corner. Three and a half minutes long. (Stu's timed it. Several times.) We can hear the music coming through the ornamental windows while we're waiting for the green. See couples dancing under the dimmed chandeliers. Their silhouettes twice life-size on the curtained patio doors. They move so gracefully. As if in a dream. And the songs are from another era. Reminds me of Chole and her "dear Mortimer."
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1757 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  19:51:52  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Today was for Katrina. We floated leis on the waves at 6am with our feet dangling over our boards. The tourists have gone home and the beach is back to the locals. Low tide was at 5:13am. Air and water 71 degrees. Between the tsunami and the hurricanes the kids conscious lives have changed. Our son Jon recently moved a few blocks away. "If the wave comes will it knock Uncle Jon's house down?" Cameron asks. "Yes," I say. "But he'll come up the hill to our house." Now Cam worries if Jon has enough gas. $2.77 at Costco tonight.

Thinking of you, Ron.

Edited by - Ailinn on 05/05/2013 13:10:15
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1757 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  19:11:37  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
A more somber morning. Life Guards taped off the area where two rough brush rafts waited to be floated out to sea. Twenty surfers towed them beyond the breakwater. At 9:11 they lit them with flaming sage branches. Two columns of smoke rose from the horizon into a cloudless blue sky. The 101 Surf Center's yellow plane flew low over the water. Not with its usual 30% OFF SALE sign trailing but with the waving American flag.
Go to Top of Page

aussiedave
Swinger

Australia
506 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  09:49:37  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Send aussiedave a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
....dancing shadows.....

a [poe]m
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  19:49:51  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
He tried to find his way
Out of the darkness
He tried hard he really did
Drowning in an ocean of pity
He'd done evrything
To keep it hid

He's had enough of evrything
He's had enough of his fears
He's letting go and letting it out
He's thru drowning in his whiskey tears

The road was dark and
There were no signs
Just the headlights from his car
It didnt matter he knew the way
He didnt have to go very far

He stopped the car
Walked across the grass
He laid down on her grave
He talked for an hour
Til the sun came up
There was nothing left to save

He's thru drowning in his whiskey tears

He told her it was over this time
It was over and it was done
His back was right up against the wall
There was nowhere left to run

This morning is the last time
Its the last time is what he said
He stood up brushed himself off
Walked away and shook his head

He's thru drowning in his whiskey tears...

Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1757 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  17:47:14  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
He crossed the water with pollen-dusted feet. How? She did not ask him. She remembered the moon's slanted silver. The amber-lit galley fading in the clotted clouds. The dream-driven fog rolling in. The crying shore birds lifting into the sky. The wind holding its breath when a ghost ship slipped by in the Harbor. Its cargo of broken hearts broken. Its slow hours tolled by bells.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1757 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  17:55:11  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Days end finds them at the fire. She lies silently by his side. The dark comes down with stars. Their faces and hands are still. Their silhouette shoulders touch in the deepening dark. He turns and reaches for her. His breath leaves blisters of ice on the salty air.

Edited by - Ailinn on 05/05/2013 13:15:17
Go to Top of Page

Craig
Firefly

Kyrgyzstan
3764 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  04:15:15  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sabrina fair
Listen where thou art sitting
Under the glassy, cool, translucent wave,
In twisted braids of lilies knitting
The loose train of thy amber-dropping hair;
Listen for dear honor's sake,
Goddess of the silver lake,
Listen and save.

~ Milton
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1757 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  18:01:36  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Brightest Lady, look on me;
Thus I sprinkle on thy breast
Drops that from my fountain pure
I have kept of precious cure,
Thrice upon thy fingers' tip,
Thrice upon they rubied lip;
Next this marble venomed seat,
Smeared with gums of glutinous heat,
I touch with chaste palms moist and cold:
Now the spell has lost its hold.

~Milton~

PS Craig, I thought you were a Tennyson man.

Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1757 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  18:08:48  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Mourning doves in the archways late afternoons. She grew more observant when his handwriting strayed. His copious notes. His lined pages of observation. His same up and down slant coming slower. The dear y's extension. The dangling g's and j's. Still stars and exclamation points in the margins. "More coffee!" he'd cry before the cook could slip out of the kitchen. Before the sun left the County. Before the children rushed in from their games. When night came she sat in the cinquefoil window. Chafed her chapped hands and prayed.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1757 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  18:18:41  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
A simple story with a common thread. A plain stitch repeating itself. Late summer days at the edge of the ocean where they walked, not in a straight line but bumping up against each other. Side to side. And backwards too. With wide gestures so it was easy to see them coming through the plum-lit afternoons. When they allowed themselves to be seen. When they were not invisible. Time stopped. Or started with the locket watch he kept in his pocket. He'd come to a crack in the boardwalk and stop. Not blinking or breathing. A quick flash of silver. Nicked finger. O, heart full of vows. His light and dark wisdom. Their optimistic thumbs. Weeds triumphing through the timbers. So the tide continued to rise under their bed. The sea house went on inventing itself around them. Arched prism windows at Swindlers Heart Cove. Eaves strung with bells. Her hands folded on the monogrammed counterpane waiting for his.
Go to Top of Page

Craig
Firefly

Kyrgyzstan
3764 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2006 :  20:50:44  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Two departed, one returned.
Face first into the wind.
They climbed higher
And climbed.
One down,
One up.
Noise.
Excitement.
People shouting.
Talking and waiting.
One soul returned, alone.

craig
Go to Top of Page

Craig
Firefly

Kyrgyzstan
3764 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2006 :  14:56:15  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
She comes in no different than a deer entering an open meadow from the safety of the dark, hidden woods. Nervous, senses in full alarm, she surveys the surroundings hoping to go unnoticed. Carefully, hessitantly, she walks to the back of the small store past the magazine and newspaper rack. This young girl not quite seventeen, spies her quarry. In her haste, she picks up the small package. With a purposeful nonchalance that isn't quite convincing, she returns to the front of the small store and places the package on the worn countertop without saying a word. Trying to hide her shaking hands, she pulls a wadded ten dollar bill from her purse and hands it to the woman behind the counter. The cashier, sensing the young girl's embarrassment doesn't break the silence of the scene. She hands the change back to her customer, which replies with an unsolicited, soft-spoken "thank you". The quietness of the small store is broken once again by the small bell on the front door as it closes.

Alone and afraid, she will find the answer to her frightening suspicions.

Craig

Edited by - Craig on 09/24/2006 15:05:20
Go to Top of Page

Karen Runk
Firefly

USA
4925 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2006 :  15:34:05  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Send Karen Runk an AOL message  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
This time she has the bbq ribs already for the big hunting trip. He has his shells loaded, his gun sighted in, his camping gear ready. "This may be my last year", he says. "You've said that the last couple years", she countered. He will be traveling with others, so she will have her own transpotation at home. She remembers when he left for another hunting trip, took the truck with her purse under the seat and he didn't come home for 5 days. She discovered how resourceful she could be when that happens.

Karen Runk
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157  Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mickey Newbury Web Board © 2003 Mickeynewbury.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000