New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 149 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Ailinn
Windchimer

1575 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  18:59:13  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"She knows that walk, that whistle, that knock.

It's the black wolf who sticks
his floured paw underneath the door.

She tries not to open. One look at his face
and she'll drop the gun. He will pick it up
and turn it on her where she waits,
her eyes shining, her hands over her head."

~Lisel Mueller~
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1575 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  22:14:56  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"Nature is a Haunted House-
But Art- a House that tries to be haunted."

~Emily Dickinson~

Go to Top of Page

Jonmark
Windchimer

USA
1782 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  23:34:56  Show Profile  Visit Jonmark's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Remember where you came from, where you're going, and why you created the mess you got yourself into in the first place.

You're going to die a horrible death, remember.
It's all good training, and you'll enjoy it more if you keep the facts in mind.

Take your dying with some seriousness, however. Laughing on the way to your execution is not generally understood by less advanced life forms, and they'll call you crazy.

~ Richard Bach ~
Go to Top of Page

Doug L
Firefly

Canada
5421 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  00:45:00  Show Profile  Visit Doug L's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I don't consider myself a great poet in terms of writing poetry.
In my prayer life I turn into a poet. I no longer separate my
life from my prayer. I still set aside time for prayer, but
there is a difference between saying prayers and being prayer.

-Macrina Wiederkehr, O.S.B.

Edited by - Doug L on 02/23/2006 06:49:07
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1575 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  20:53:39  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
He gathers twigs and kindling for his cup of fire. The small bowl of comfort he offers her under the dark sky. His folded wings finally quiet. The tremor in his hands hidden in his deep sleeves. The stars spin in infinite isolation above them. "Tell me what to remember," she pleads. He says, "Everything."
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1575 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  22:24:11  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
In the long-distant past they danced at the cobbled edge of Durrow. A thousand years. A thousand miles of moor or more. Dark sky overhead. Rain mostly. His cold fingers numbing. His heart, a flame set on High. O, the path they must travel. Hell and high-water. No fork-in-the road to trick History here. His voice alive in her ruby-stung ears.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1575 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  15:19:11  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
It was September '87. It was a Friday night. 'Cause of Santa Ana winds what ended up happening was. The power blows out all over Burbank. The winds start kicking up sin. The car's rockin' and rollin'. Side to side. Me and the AD just sit in the limo and smoke cigarettes all night. Now there's this scene where they're up on the roof. Just as they pan down to street-level a palm tree catches on fire. "I gotta get that," the second unit camera guy says. Okay. I stick my hand out and shake his. The rest is History.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1575 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  20:01:33  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Notes from the road because it's raining in California. "Well, the stars don't hear much now, do they?.." she says, "...with all of Earth's loud confusion below." "Hand me that screwdriver, baby," he says. He sleeps under rain. Where banks slope low to the river. Totem-edged. Hither and yon. And treed mountains. And white split-rail fences. Winding, slow country lane heading home. Twenty-one miles and a right turn. Mystery leaves. The touched stone. The barrier broken. The gate left open. His walking shoes waiting in the high grass beside the road. Dirt on her hands when they're back on the street mining sunshine.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1575 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  20:54:44  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Light grows by leaps and bounds. From high windows. White flowers. Embroidered on the sky. Hand-hemmed pillow cases. Looking out from that shuttered sea window. Salt on the screen. Chimes in the northwest corner. There's the beveled pane, now. All fractured light and twisted trees. Groves and low orchards behind them. And heavy air. A fragrance they can lean on. "The real deal!" he says, defiantly alive. "Hahaha," she says, "you watch too much Television."
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1575 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  17:11:08  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
And yet elation drove the dolphins' course
as if both from and to you, their joy was ours.
And had there been a prophecy that said: "Wait!
On a day of great delight you will see dolphins."
Or, in the ashes and embers of a wrecked sunset
the same voice, falling as quietly as a flag, said,
before the constellations arranged their chaos,
"Those drifting cinders are angels, see how they soar,"
I would not have believed in them, being too old
and sceptical from the fury of one life's
determined benedictions, but they are here.
Angels and dolphins. The second first.
And always certainly, steadily, on the bright rim
of the world, getting no nearer, or nearer, the more
the bow's wedge shuddered towards it, prodigal,
that line of light that shines from the other shore.

~Derek Walcott~
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1575 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  18:37:19  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Standing in line at the triple A counter. A gratutious Sunday morning. The clerk explains how the title transfers "acrobatically". "I mean, autoMAtically," she laughs, correcting herself. The Cirque de Soliel is performing across the Freeway. Their posters on utility poles all over town. In hot hedges outside the Auto Club, irridescent hummingbirds hover. Sipping from outlandish Birds of Paradise. Suspended in mid-air. Long drinks while their costumed wings shimmer. With the Pink Slip in my pocket I head for the market and home. The kids want to stop for lemon ices. The sun rests it's color at the horizon's razor edge. Wide crimson spreading. Mexico to Malibu.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1575 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  18:43:23  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"Ah, Senor," Fernando says, "the guitars are quiet tonight." The filigreed silver cross in the corner. The shuttered window. The studded lemon-lime light. His one hundred reflections in the rear-view mirror in the middle of the night. The last ride out of town.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1575 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  22:11:34  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The finite road. The sky above them coming undone when he changes her name. Changes History. Renegade Saints and self-employed Angels appear. "Put the kettle on," he tells her. He sits with his back to the open oven door. A habit from when he was colder. His shoulders. Where his wings used to be. She folds her hands on the refectory table. He closes his hands over hers. The cypress's green flames against the horizon. Silhouette birds rise slow. She passes through the beaded curtain. The room beyond the sun. He closes her eyes with ashes. "Faith," he says. And then a music comes.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1575 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  18:40:10  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Reverend B. How are you?
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1575 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  18:56:42  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
WITH JUAREZ AT THE CAFE LUPE

We've been friends long enough, he says
Patting the tortillas dry
Letting some cigarette ash fall into the cornmeal
I look up from the shredded lettuce and cheese
He gets edgy when I don't meet his eyes
So I look up
But I don't say a word
Hey
No use fishing for trouble
And look at him
Something is about to sneak up on him
And he knows it
Today is a special occasion
We rig a canopy over the well
And put folding chairs out for the women
I set the tables with platters
And large wooden bowls for the salads
At every sixth place is salsa and chips
Pepper sauce and Tabasco
So nobody has to reach far, he says
Placing himself in the center
And measuring the distance with the spread of his arms
He leans in his boots in the doorway
While I finish taping the paper tablecloths down
I know by his look that he likes it
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1575 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  19:46:28  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Holes in the cloudbank. Stars showing through. Salt and sealight under a glitter-bright sky. His Spirit in the galley bent to remembering. Red right returning. Welcome three bells.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1575 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  19:47:49  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The soul is a bird on a string straining for Heaven.

~Saint John of the Cross~
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1575 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  19:49:13  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
They're trying to cut down on coffee. Chloe and Zeke. She works at The Diner now. The coffee's free. And the mac and cheese congeals in Zeke's arteries every Wednesday evening at 6 pm. "Come Friday!" Chloe pleads, "the halibut's better." "Drowsy," says Zeke, and shrugs rounded shoulders. Handsome in his beaded shirt. Drowsy Two Nose. "Three X's against him!" Chloe says.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1575 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  19:52:57  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
She cuts his blue heart out of his burning shirt pocket. She safety-pins it to hers. He sends messages to his Hole-in-the-Wall gang explaining the situation. He sends, "Hurry! This is no joke!" The sun sets in a cup of the mountains.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1575 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  18:34:08  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"Not easy," he says. "Not meant to be." All the nights lay down together under Heaven's cold floor. The nights are fermenting stars. The days are hives of fire.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 149 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mickey Newbury Web Board © 2003 Mickeynewbury.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000