New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 153 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Ailinn
Windchimer

1658 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  18:27:41  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"Please stay out of the trees after sunset!" he implores. But there she is. Up high again. Silhouetted against the moon. So he hires a General Contractor. To build a house closer to ground. "Earthbound!" he says, and approves the rueful blueprints immediately. The construction crews arrive at 6:52am. A keening sound occurs at 7 when their hammers begin. "Time and a half!" he shouts, "if you can get it done right away." She watches from a crook in the lower branches. The first day; "bang! bang! bang!" She climbs higher to where all she can hear are birds sighing. And contrails making their white X's against a blue sky. She gazes down on the flagged, colored courtyard and twin golden parasol gazebos. She lifts the edge of one turreted roof and looks under. Vaulted dormers and brocade spreads on the beds. Her tears make a stream that criss-crosses the property line. A singing brook. Past the moat and the frozen statues. Past the trellised gardens paper-maiche blooms. Past the FOR SALE sign shining at the edge of the manicured lawn. That evening he joins her at the top-most part of the tree. She serves him fresh baked bread on a perfect-shaped leaf. "Pass the butter," he says, finally smiling.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1658 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2005 :  19:39:44  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
He brought home something called "Strawberry tomatoes." On long slender vines like a necklace. Not oval like grapes. Or round like cherries. But the definitive puffed-heart shape of strawberries for sure. From another brown sack he set five onions on the counter. "South American Sweethearts," he says. "To dance with the tomatoes." We're all leaning over our music stands. Or babysitting our instruments attentively. The conductor bemoaning the fact that his dress pants show a double crease and he's permanently misplaced his talented baton. "Rats in the palm trees, mice in the ivy," the sour solist says. And points his crookrd finger at the open stage door. Bony as Hansel and Gretel's slim ploy.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1658 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2005 :  19:52:01  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Each morning in a low-lit room he wound his heart full measure. Through dreams and high fevers. Through tricks and through treasure. His preparation for another day. And when he was finally settled he would sometimes drop his pen. A thousand miles away. Then the X in her wrists ticked him into her blood. In and out of the flames she listened. A mute Valentine. Stitched to her sleeve. Where they sat under Heaven's high floor. Enough sunshine between them to make the day last 'til 11 pm.
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2005 :  20:15:29  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Not one wasted word... Every line a treasure... Richard Brautigan said that he prepared to write a novel by writing sentences that were perfect.... When he could do that he would write a paragraph with no wasted words... Then a page... Only then was he ready to begin his novel... Your paragraphs are a delight... HB

http://www.mytown.ca/outsiders/beukema/
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1658 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  20:12:33  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I live in a small house on a hill with many plates on the table for each meal. Where we often eat in rotational shifts. Everyone being welcome. There's always a kettle of soup. With bread or biscuits to nibble. And sweet butter. He will have it no other way. The back and front doors wide open. To move outside as well as in. May is a good month for this musical-chair arrangement. And June through September. The lamps are lit late and the tame flowers still shield their lovely faces when the sun leaves the sky. It was apples I was slicing. That forbidden fruit made fresher with a hint of lime. From my kitchen window, across the courtyard the Church bells chimed as it's steeple stabbed the darkening blue. I tried to hold myself together when I first saw his reflection in the mottled mirror. But his eyes were the same unmistakable hue. And his quiver of hand-forged arrows still burned under his immaculate shirt. A radiance that showed through the hole in his worn breast pocket. Sure, I dropped the cinnamon. And the knot of nutmeg too. Venial transgressions. Proof on the floor. A pyramid of shining sugar where he stepped closer. When he put his finger to my lips and winked and whispered, "Shhh..." I turned up the tender tune on the radio. Standing there with the cold knife in my hand, faces appeared in the doorway. Hesitant and curious. But nobody asked when dinner would be served. Ah, the acquiescent power of music.

~Diary of Red Rose~
Go to Top of Page

Karen Runk
Firefly

USA
4925 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  20:22:36  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Send Karen Runk an AOL message  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Quivering sounds

Karen Runk
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1658 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  20:25:13  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Karen~
I think we should go into the B & B business together.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1658 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  19:41:20  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
A Dream

In visions of the dark night
I have dreamed of joy departed,
But a waking dream of life and light
Hath left me broken-hearted.

Ah! what is not a dream by day
To him whose eyes are cast
On things around him with a ray
Turned back upon the past?

That holy dream-that holy dream,
While all the world were chiding.
Hath cheered me as a lonely beam
A lonely spirit guiding.

What through that light, thro' storm and night,
So trembled from afar,
What could there be more purely bright
In Truth's day star?

~Edgar Allan Poe~
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1658 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  20:33:00  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Trackin' the sky. The night falls down. The stars come on. I've been away from you. Too long.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1658 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  20:14:04  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Rough sugar, this wreath of thorns. When the night falls down and the stars turn up their volume. Here they come again. Crash-landing. Missing the X in the cleared cornfield by a country mile. All green encroaching. Sticks and stones and brambles too. Where the silken chute drags them haphazardly. Limp Raggedy Ann and Andy. How memories walk ahead turning back to glance over their shoulders now and then. Pieces of promises scraping their cheeks. Their lives finally settling like restless leaves.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1658 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  19:13:23  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
SOME NIGHTS

Many fine pastries line the shelves
Of our town library. Miss Reese
Dips her finger here and there
While she walks the dim aisles
Looking for a certain book.

"I want something with truffles of Perigord,"
Is what I said to her.
"In Perigord where the poets only think of love,"
She exclaimed gaily,
Her mouth smeared with strawberry and cream.

I'm squeezing her hand; she is squeezing
My hand. We are going down
To the cellar where they keep
Little dark chocolates
Filled with almonds of heaven and hell.

Charles Simic

Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  19:49:46  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
So when Christopher Robin goes to the Zoo, he goes to where the Polar Bears are, and he whispers something to the third keeper from the left, and doors are unlocked, and we wander through dark passages and up steep stairs, until at last we come to the special cage, and the cage is opened, and out trots something brown and furry, and with a happy cry of "Oh, Bear!" Christopher Robin rushes into its arms. Now this bear's name is Winnie, which shows what a good name for bears it is, but the funny thing is that we can't remember whether Winnie is called after Pooh, or Pooh after Winnie. We did know once, but we have forgotten....
--Introduction to Winnie-the-Pooh - A A Milne

Ralph

http://www.mytown.ca/outsiders/beukema/
Go to Top of Page

Karen Runk
Firefly

USA
4925 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  20:04:33  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Send Karen Runk an AOL message  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Winnie is my hero

Karen Runk
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  20:06:14  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Somewhere between Exit 12 and 13 I wrote a song once about a dime a dance romance under a quarter moon to my Barbie...

Somewhere between Clay Marsupial and Winnie ther Pooh is Rev Buckman..

Somewhere between the moon and New York City is Ralph, taking a few nights away from us on his beloved Hudson River raft...

Somewhere north and west of the Hudson is me reading The Vigil, my nightly adventure into reading True Artistry...

Somewhere Between San Diego and Heaven is Ailinn, weaving her spell of words on my heart...

My point? Oh, bother, I seem to have forgotten it... Oh well,As Procol Harum said, Life is a beanstalk, my son.... Enlightenment, I don't know what it means....

HB
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1658 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  19:33:30  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Under the day's waning light she waits to hear his sweet evening birds calling again. To witness this world from his view when he stands gazing out through the salt-glazed panes. The celestial night fills with black velvet and dazzling jewelry. He turns from the window and sits down at the long trestle table. His back to the open oven door. He shakes the faceted stars from his hair. Follows her around the room with his lightning-struck, summing-up eyes. She hums and taps time on the worn kitchen counter with a long pointy knife while she works. This does not disturb him. This does not send him away. Soon, outside the darkness is studded with many honey-combed hives of light. In the warm room there's a corner of moonlight. One star melting on the floor at his feet.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1658 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  19:44:17  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"...poor as a church mouse, I tell ya, Ro... I was starvin'!..." "...bad time, bad time, hahaha." "...that's when I really started writin', though..." "...once I allowed myself to write... ...Then I was okay..."

~Mickey Newbury~
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1658 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  19:50:10  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I tried to italicize 'allowed' five times. Sorry.
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2005 :  03:54:11  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"""""S'okay""""" ~*~..... Rev
Go to Top of Page

Craig
Firefly

Kyrgyzstan
3753 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2005 :  04:35:25  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"...poor as a church mouse, I tell ya, Ro... I was starvin'!..." "...bad time, bad time, hahaha." "...that's when I really started writin', though..." "...once I allowed myself to write... ...Then I was okay..."

~Mickey Newbury~

Sometimes all that is needed is a little help from a friend, if it's allowed.

craig
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1658 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  18:09:01  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I love those slanting letters. Thank you, both.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 153 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mickey Newbury Web Board © 2003 Mickeynewbury.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000