New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 150 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Ailinn
Windchimer

1593 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  17:05:54  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Keep drivin' Preacherman. 'Tis pleasure to share a page.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1593 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  17:07:54  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Something else I remembered about the orphanage... If any Bakery trucks crashed in town they sent us the donuts and pastry. This happened more often than you might imagine. Mostly on Sundays.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1593 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  17:17:17  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The sun rises in the East and appears twice looking in through the window. The second time it jumps on the bed and scorches the sheets. "Wake up!" it shouts in a voice that leaps and crackles. Over the western sea the sky refuses to open. He moans. He pulls the covers over their heads. The eucalyptic air swirls in. No matter where they fall asleep, they wake up close to the Border. Their new names are intent on pushing them over a cliff fringed with early Palo Verde. Waves crashing below. The tide rising in rapt anticipation. The back and front of the sky still at a stand-off.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1593 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  21:08:14  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Once there was a world you could
Hold in the palm of your hand,
And upon which the snow was
Always just starting to fall-

World of a city that lay
By a body of water
Where people gathered to watch
Ships set sail for other worlds.

And high over the city
At the edge of the water,
Stood a great woman of stone
Whose name no one remembers.

Once there was a world you could
Hold in the palm of your hand,
And, by turning it over,
Make the first soft snow swirl down

On the lit houses of those
Whose name no one remembers,
But who, it seems now, must have
Loved one another greatly.

Why else would they have taken
The trouble to put her there-
Stone woman who stood waiting
For ships that never came back?

[Joe Bolton - American Variations]

A ghost ship slipped past the window with a ruby at the top of the mast. No compass to find true North. See the open sea opening its watery door waiting centuries to embrace you. Come with courage. Come with warmth.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1593 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  21:11:04  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"...nothing can harm you...
...close your eyes...
...dream and fly..."

~Mickey Newbury~
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1593 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  19:47:49  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Clotted clouds. Like bruises. Everyday. Clotted clouds dream-riddled and the moon's slanted silver. "Time to hit the High Tide Cafe," he finally tells her. She remembers a frontage road. Near the beach lined with palm trees. A four-sided clock tower. Pushing time against the sky. She remembers. Drinking coffee on the hood of his car at 3am. He said they'd have forever. She said they'd need longer than that. And a fool-proof plan of escape. A blue night spreading across the windshield when they fled through the world of run-away truck ramps. The dash splashed with county-long sunsets and stars. His hand on her knee. An alibi on the radio.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1593 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  22:29:48  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
You remember the old man at the Doll Hospital when I was a child. Fixed Molly when I jumped on my high bed and she fell and fractured her pale, porcelain face on the hardwood floor. I was 5. He had this magic glue that put hearts back together. The Doll hospital man. He had magnifying eyes and patient hands. In love, of course. Dangerously. Years later in Kennebunkport, Maine. A guy with huge hands in cranberry land pushing tiny beads into tiny envelopes. So we could embroider our jeans. With flowers. Suns and moons. My sweet neices and I. Stu's hair long because I beat him shooting baskets.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1593 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  19:25:37  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Old fashioned bathroom. Porcelain tub up on legs. Towel draped loosely around his waist scraping beard off with brother's broken razor. His early morning identity whirlpooling down the drain. And there, the old, rusty key again. Showing up where he left it. On the dresser he loves. "Beveled glass all around. But the doors are cracked. Both of 'em. Right down the middle. Like a broken heart. Silver comin' off the back of it. An' hardly no mirror left at all. I jus' love that thing though, honey." he says reaching for his first cup of coffee. In the kitchen he sits with his back to the stove. Heat scrolling across his shoulders. He tips his chair back defying gravity. Plants his worn boots on the polished oak stretcher. Here comes this morning's story.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1593 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  19:32:31  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Cars parked every which way on the shoulder of the dangerous Del Dios Highway. Windshield wipers whipping away. Waiting for the Dam at Lake Hodges to spill. First time in seven years. The lake was on its way to becoming a tree farm. A cheer went up when the show started. The water broke free. No longer trapped or lonesome. West of the Dam it surged downhill toward home some twenty miles away. The shining Pacific Ocean. The CHP stayed busy. Trying to keep traffic moving, and disperse the cheering, honking crowd. Crying out over their loudspeakers, "Tow trucks are on the way!" Hot Dam!
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1593 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  22:34:41  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
We've got hot-petaled poppies nodding under all the retro-fitted bridges. Serape colors of the sun. Finally blazing on today's opening flowers. Workers picking strawberries in five inches of standing rain. Aqua and yellow slickers laying empty on the ground. Oh, delusional sunshine. In our town the cliff came down on La Costa Avenue. (Now closed.) Slid into Batiquitos Lagoon at the Braided Pepper Flower and Produce Stand. Operating for over 40 years. A longer way around to the beach now. For two days all construction stopped. Us too. The clean, clear air trembled waiting for the big diesel cats to roar. To slice up the profit pie.

Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1593 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  22:49:05  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"...nothing can harm you, sooooo... Close your eyes. Sail..."

~MSN~
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1593 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2005 :  13:16:10  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Chloe had a sense of style when she waitressed. She brought class to the Diner with those handkerchiefs pinned to her breast pocket. White handkerchiefs with tatted edges in rainbow colors. Lavender for Monday. Saturday was red. And for holidays she found this sparkley thread. Soon we all took up the hankie habit. They looked like prom orchids sittin' up on our chests. Cora Jeanne perfumed hers but that only lasted 'til noon when Rudy who drove the big rigs for Southwest Trucking said, "Cora girl, get your Evening In Paris outta my meatloaf and 'taters, please!" They was sparkin' each other so she didn't take no offense. Then Chloe came up with the hat trick thing. Little fanned paper tiaras that made us look like queens. The tips went up, and the cook took to wearin' clean jeans. Chloe's lifetime love was Mortimer. 'Morty-face', she called him. She'd run her pearl-painted fingernails through tufts of white hair whispering around his earlobes. They'd go to the Firehouse Saturday nights and eat roast beef suppers. "Roast beast," Mortimer called it, "hahaha!" They'd both dress-up fine. Chloe in her satin blouse and fringed leather vest, and Mortimer in his fresh, Chloe-laundered shirt. Chloe pushed starch to the next generation. That shirt stood up by itself. "Man, I could cut myself on this!" Mortimer said fussin' with the buttons. He wore a bolo tie with a big chunk of turquois and polished boots. They sure had a high time together. More 'an thirty years ago. When Mortimer passed, Chloe went over to the Home. Then that young singer feller came by. You know, the one who used to sit in the corner booth drinkin' coffee and smokin' cigarettes. He had that beat-up brown satchel full of writin' papers he's spread all over the table. Saw him waitin' in the Lobby lookin' out through the big picture window where Chloe was takin' the sun. "Hurts me to see her like that," he said. "All closed up in her nightie...no shoulders. Bothers me nobody comes to see her," he said. I clearly remember him sayin' that. And the pained look in his eyes. "You did," I said. "Yeah, well," he said, and followed the attendent down the hall. They got on real swell, though. An' he took to stoppin' in every other week. Brought his guitar sometimes. Yeah. You'd hear them both laughin'. He sang about the weather alot. Sunshine and rain. Oh, what was his name? Shoot! It's right on the tip of my tongue. Blue eyes he had. Truly blue.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1593 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  18:40:59  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Cameron says, "RoRo, I can burp louder than Isaiah and he can burp louder than anyone in Grade 4. He can burp the scale!" "The scale?" I say. Cameron sings, "Doe, a deer, a female deer, burp!" That's great, Cam, I say, not knowing what else to. "Honey, does it make sense that a kid named Isaiah is best known for his burping skill?" I ask Stu. "Ummm. Sure, babe. Got any more of that salsa?" he says not looking up from the LA Times crossword puzzle. Saturdays and Sundays are the hardest. Jeffrey's in the kitchen with Ethan, his sleep-over friend. They're dumping straws full of sugar down their little gullets. Tiny granulated pyramids shining on the counters and kitchen floor. "Hey! That don't fly in Ro Town!" Jon says. "Your names are Ted and you drive the bus. You're BUSTED!" Jon gave them both hell and a bucket. On TV, a semi flipped and dumped its load across the 5. Closed a lane at Palomar and Poinsettia. "A non-injury accident..." the traffic helicopter said, "...frozen chickens." "Not anymore," says Stu. Never noticed how long the kids eyelashes were 'til they fell asleep in their mashed potatoes.

PS The secret ingredient in Shepherd's Pie is nutmeg.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1593 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  18:47:51  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
When I was 8 my Daddy took me to a gym. A guy named Sully with a cauliflower ear taught me how to make a fist and hit a bag. Big clock on the wall behind it. "Hit the clock, kid!" he shouted. "Pugilistic Art," my Daddy called it. "Punch through, honey! Punch through! Right on that chin. A target that beckoned clearly. He went down. His eyes closed. His lights were out. Birdies singing so sweetly in a halo around his head. Uh-huh. Still, he wanted to go another round. "Heh heh heh..." he said. "5 Aces."
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1593 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  18:57:30  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
A woman steps out of Adam. She stretches her arms above her head. Her fingernails rake the sky. Contrails on the beginning blue. "Pixels," God says, able to see the big picture. She shakes out her long, damp hair. The ground around her brightens. The sun shines down. Her eyes fix on a dark figure moving. She recognizes the shadow as her own. Adam moans. She's curious. She squats down beside him sleeping. His even breathing, a nuanced music in her ear. She places her hand on the wound beside his heart. His breath deepens to a sigh. His eyes stay covered. At the edge of The Garden, part forest, part jungle, part National Park Reserve, she unbraids the lassoed vines and slips into the leaves. Adam awakens. Shakes his head and rubs the sand from his eyes. He sees the footprints. Smaller than his own. He stands. He moves toward the sharp-edged green.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1593 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  20:29:23  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Birds were up early. Ravens and crows. The difference being one pinion feather. Or, "a matter of a pinion," as my neighbor, Ray, an avid birdwatcher loves to say. All falling up arguing with the sky. And the wind was so busy. And the sun's spangled light. Inventing new shadows where it finally touched down. Birds of a feather not all the same. Water skiing. Some slipping in fast-footed landings. Others, timid on tiny hinged hydraulic legs. All this happening in bright sunshine. After nine inches of rain.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1593 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  20:39:49  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
When I was a child I lived in a wet City. Special clothes for weather. Red Riding Hood Cape. Only blue. Hidden pockets for secrets and charms. Cloudy marbles called Queen of Peru. Then the curtain came down on that life. Circumstance made me prematurely observant and on guard. A finger in the dike kind of mind. Now my charms are in two carved wooden boxes. And my secrets, well... I gave them to you. View from my slow stained glass window tonight. Moon just a little present in the sky. Caught deep in the warp and weave of it.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1593 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  20:11:19  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
How can I tell you all the things
I regret? How can I tell you
I never loved enough? How can I
speak of shame, never having spoken
of it before? And in what voice
should I speak, and how should I approach you-
with my shoulders back, as though I am proud
of who I am, proud that I am
now human enough to confess? If I am

to speak to you, it must be
in a low voice- you will have to lean forward
to hear me; my breath will touch you,
lightly, on your cheek. And your breath too,
will touch me, like the thinking of a god
who never speaks, but is listening.

[Richard Jones]

I am telling you now.
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  21:27:05  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
It is 30 degrees, but it is almost Spring in the Hudson Valley...
I can almost smell it coming...

I ride NorthEast for many days
Where to be October
Means something...
Where I ran and fished and hunted
As a child and learned the ways
Of the woods and of the Great One...
The trees are aflame in
Their private moondance of fire...
Against the blue of My Hudson
Reflecting the cliff faces of Storm King
It plays the illusion the Old Ones called
Riverdeep mountainhigh...
I smile to think of my Other family
Now gone on high that walked this riverbank
With me so long ago...
They were so like the October trees,
Aflame and dancing with color and
Great beauty just before their private
Winter came and turned them gray...

In the creeping darkness,
I whisper a prayer
That they would
greet me in the spring
As the trees will,
Reborn and ready
For another fling
Around the Dancefloor...

Rev Buckman

http://members.tripod.com/buckmaniac/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1593 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  22:23:07  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Mavericks. Half Moon Bay. Grey when I saw you drop into it. Awesome sliding down that 30 foot face. Next is Wiamea. Dave is there with a new camera. Epsom salts and duct tape. Love to you, Greg San Clemente. King of the big wave.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 150  Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mickey Newbury Web Board © 2003 Mickeynewbury.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000