New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 154 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

San Diego
Rocker

453 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  18:29:22  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
It's a beautiful old cemetery with wind chimes in the branches. Benches to sit on, or you can put down a blanket and share a picnic lunch. I haven't done this before, but that's the plan for tomorrow. My sister-in-law who is Principal of a prep school in Boston is making a market list. "Cemetery menu, Ro?..." She's efficient. (Stu and his brothers enjoyed annoying their serious sisters.) My son Jonathan catches my eye, "...got it covered... That idea Dad had for chicken... Definitely working here." (I know the road he's traveling. Acorns don't fall far from the tree.) A place called The Chicken Basket, only Stu's idea was, The Chicken Casket. And he and his brothers were serious. Black baskets, black napkins, black plastic knives and forks. He even had the logo. A chicken on its back with its legs in the air and a lily across its breast. When I drew it he said, "No... Make the lily dead too. Mick used to say, "...are you sure they're yours, Ro?...they all look just like Stu. They do. Act like him too. Wonderful. Unless you're in a crowded elevator. "...just another beautiful day here in WITSEC, right, Ma? Dave says, "How's the turtle?...and where did you learn how to jump start a car?... We're leaving to trek single-file down the beach..."to walk in the path..." and play some volleyball.

Edited by - San Diego on 05/27/2013 09:50:20
Go to Top of Page

San Diego
Rocker

453 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2012 :  18:25:13  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Probably never have all my kids and Stu's family here together again. Their stories sound like another lifetime. We lived on a street where the trees canopied overhead. Stu's parents, sisters and brothers, nieces and nephews close by. Bonfires on the beach in Fall while leaves flamed around us waiting for weather. Manhattan skyline across the sound. Behind us a town with above-ground electric. Birds on wires like music written on the sky. Our backyards nostalgic with clotheslines. In Summer the family moved to Maine. A convoy of station wagons with bicycles on top. Beach rose growing out of the granite. Norman, the blueberry boy on his Schwinn early mornings at 7am. "How many quahts today?" Saturdays we'd put our beans in a crock and bring them to town to be baked. Kids hanging off the back of a fire truck shouting, "Bingo tonight at 8pm!" We played cards and board games and hide-and-seek. Fireflies in jars and ocean in the driveway the night the tide dumped into Etherington Pond. Stu's Mom and sisters and I haunted York and Kennebunk and Ogunquit for antiques. Spoon racks and chamber pots and Tiffany lamps. Made the annual trek to Old Orchard Beach where twenty kids blew their summer allowance. Week before Labor Day we hauled the cousins to Biddeford for back-to-school shoes. Bought the size they wore and a size up for later. Tradition. All those ships rocking in the harbor and Widow's Walks on Main Street.

Cranking the grill now. Happy Saturday.
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  08:53:11  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Whistle me a up a tune, Mick
My heart is breaking in two
I'm spending the nite with
my closest friends,
Her memory, a bottle and you.
Sing me a sad one like only you can
I know there's more left in this heart
It's a long train we're runnin
Gettin faster each day
But we've come so far from the start

What ever she took,
she took me by chance,
It was all we could do just to stand
The first days were wild
The nites all aglow
There was still time for holding hands.
Some things you lose
Others you burn
Some just get taken away
Nights filled with whiskey,
The days fueled by pills
It's gonna stop hurting today

So, Whistle me up a tune, Mick
The night is just right for two.
An empty glass toast
to beginnings and ends
Sing us of ramblin and shining blue skies
Fade the words right into my heart
It's a long road we're drivin
But gettin shorter each day
We've come so far from the start

Sometimes all it takes
Is one little dance
You feel it, she's holding your hand
The days of the child
The years watching him grow
Are stored safe in another land
Sounds like the blues
But some days you learn
Some just get taken away
Words chase the whiskey,
The mountains are hills
It's gonna stop hurting today

So, Whistle me up a tune, Mick
The night is just right for two.
An empty glass toast
to beginnings and ends
Sing us of ramblin and shining blue skies
Fade the words right into my heart
It's a long road we're drivin
But gettin shorter each day
We've come so far from the start
http://youtu.be/Der0w3wMbHU
Go to Top of Page

San Diego
Rocker

453 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2012 :  17:51:20  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Yesterday we went to UCSD to see Do-Ho Suh's "Fallen Star." A topsy-turvy house like in The Wizard of Oz. Hanging off the seventh-story roof of the engineering building. The floor is slanted 17 degrees so you feel quite wonderfully off balance. It's furnished inside as if the family just stepped out for a moment. Pillows on the sofa, needlepoint, and a childs drawing on the wall. Newspapers...even an open bag of candy on the coffee table. A blue cottage with an address 72 Blue Heron Way. In the winter it will have smoke (steam) coming out of the chimney. Part of the Stuart Collection. How's that for cool.

Edited by - San Diego on 10/13/2012 14:45:09
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2012 :  21:13:27  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Does the soul take wing and leave the body
When the heart gets broken and lost?
Is what started out as a rolling stone
Planted and covered with moss?
Anguish and passion take time to get over
Is there ever a good time to sleep?
The clock ticks so loud at midnite
Are the memories buried too deep?

If the Gods gave you forever
Could you do it without a heart?
Eternity's not somewhere waiting
Weren't the whispers there from the start?
The magic in music is silent
Do stars only shine in the dark?
Did you think the beauty inside her eyes
Would finally light your last spark?

How many times can you stumble?
Does the river know it's nearing the falls?
While the questions steal the nights away
The days give you nothing at all.
The feel and the touch of a lover
The fragrance and taste that you crave
They linger in wisps of memory
Do they laugh at you from the grave?

If the Gods gave you forever
Could you do it without a heart?
Eternity's not somewhere waiting
Weren't the whispers there from the start?
Anguish and passion take time to get over
Is there ever a good time to sleep?
The clock ticks so loud at midnite
Are the memories buried too deep?

The magic in music is silent
Do stars only shine in the dark?
Did you think the beauty inside her eyes
Would finally light your last spark?
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1678 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2012 :  18:08:54  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Henry- Do you think we were on Market Street at the same time?
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2012 :  19:18:51  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
1970-1972 only. Went back in 1983 for a week. ~*~
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1678 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2012 :  19:51:39  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
She's waiting by the chain-link fence where broken bottles and newspapers gather. He pulls up and cranks the window down. "Heaven's back yard," he grins. His lit cigarette and storm-smudged eyes. His hair curling over his collar. She slides in beside him and his hand lands on her knee. "I'll tell truer stories. I promise," she says. "Too soon," he says. Spangled windshield on the mica-bright road a whistle away from the Border.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1678 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2012 :  16:45:17  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
In Frankincensco. "You sure you know how to do this?..." she says. "Yes, he says emphatically. Scissors in hand, he pulls her hair back in a pony tail...and cuts. "Okay. Okay. Things happen," he says, "...but not accidentally."
Go to Top of Page

Doug L
Firefly

Canada
5425 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2012 :  10:56:04  Show Profile  Visit Doug L's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
There is a shining woman from Mashhad. One who wore mini-skirts
as a young woman before the revolution, covered her long black
hair with the hijab after. She came to this far country to reclaim
her veiled freedoms, to mourn those she lost, but also to dance,
to laugh, to hear the music of the world beyond.

She says, "What I have not learned yet how to say in English,
you will have to read in my eyes. Wearing the hijab, a Persian
woman's eyes learn to speak many languages."

This morning she sent me photographs in an e-mail while waiting
to see the doctor, one of her left foot with its brightly painted
toe-nails, the other of her left foot and her right foot together,
the two big toes entwined.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1678 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2012 :  18:53:52  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Coming home from the market up many flights of stairs. Fire escape stacked with geraniums. Wine and Whiz burgers and Mitchell's praline ice cream. That's what we had one Thanksgiving.
Go to Top of Page

Craig
Firefly

Kyrgyzstan
3758 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2012 :  22:13:30  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"Be careful who you tell your secrets to", she reminded.

"Some times, the best surprises are the least expected", he retorted.

"What do you mean?"

"You'll see..."

Edited by - Craig on 06/24/2012 20:31:22
Go to Top of Page

San Diego
Rocker

453 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2012 :  19:36:43  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Yes, the best surprises are the least expected.

"...and...no sunglasses after midnight..."
Go to Top of Page

San Diego
Rocker

453 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  19:42:11  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
No matter how full of celebration the house seems at sunset, glass beads shimmering in windows like tiny flasks of light...the hour of arrows.
Go to Top of Page

San Diego
Rocker

453 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2012 :  18:06:53  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
http://vimeo.com/15668085
Go to Top of Page

Joe Z
Windchimer

USA
1791 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  08:17:30  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Though never payed for his bit part, Mickey appeared in “Skins” - aka “Gang Boys” - starring producer Wings Hauser and Linda Blair. The movie deals with a dysfunctional family that through a hate crime finds love again. Mickey played a crazy street preacher and had his hair dyed white. Hobbling across a Hollywood street at night - cane in one hand, bible raised in the other - Reverend Newbury scream-preaches the word of the New Testament, Matthew 5:39 and 5:44:

“Love your enemies! Do good unto those who would curse you! Pray for those who would wish you ill will! He is coming! If a man slaps you on the cheek (here he slaps his face hard), turn your other cheek! Listen to me brothers! For how could I know beauty without having first known ugliness? How could I know the light without having walked in the darkness? Yes brothers, listen to me if you have ears. He is coming!”

Now across the street, Newbury turns his attention to a man leaning on a streetlamp, eating a sandwich.
Newbury: “What do you think brother? I don’t believe he’s ever left here.”
Man: “Brother all I’ve got is a cold cheeseburger and a sore ass from riding the Greyhound all night. OK? I ain’t got no money!”
Newbury: “I don’t want your money. Just a few kind words.”
Man: “You want a kind word? Hollywood. God bless you.”

Better lines could not have been scripted for his role. Friends know he was a religious man... not fire and brimstone, verse and chapter, but in a way that can be described as spiritually perceptive. He made many mistakes but did his best to live by his priorities - God, family and friends. In a world intoxicated by celebrity, Hollywood starlet Terry Moore said she, “didn't know anyone who worked harder at not being a star than Mickey.” Best friend Marty Hall concurred, “I never saw Mickey not be completely humble.”

Indeed, some of his best performances were offstage. “If I wanted to make money,” he proclaimed, “I could have been a preacher. I’d a made more money than any television preacher alive... because I’m not only a student of the bible, but I can write songs and sing songs... You know I could have been the richest preacher that ever walked this earth... But we all got to die one of these days... And you better be a good preacher you know.” Newbury’s idea of a good preacher? “There’s not a hair’s difference between Billy Graham and somebody laying in an alley, and Billy Graham knows that. When I met him, I was prepared to not like him because most famous people are in it for the money. But he was an impressive man.”

“I occasionally speak to God... occasionally every other hour. I never ask for anything but his blessing and the wisdom to be the vessel he intended. I have no fear of death because I am certain you cannot kill a Christian. If every soul in the world wants to live his or her life in doubt and fear... have at it! We all have the freedom of our will. I will not... will not... be afraid... Many people who go to church are afraid to die. I’m not.”

Sunday morning found him lyin’...
SAN FRANCISCO MABEL JOY

To illustrate the point, Newbury wrote a reply to the author’s expressed fear of flying. “It has been my observation... most folks go through life fearing the very things... in probability, that will never touch them. ‘Death’ or our departure from this... at times... most difficult life is God’s plan for a better life and yet... is looked on as something to fear. Faith is the only answer... Faith in something we cannot see. It is difficult... I cannot see the radio wave but I know without a doubt it exists... The proof... I have heard the radio. So... when someone tells you they will worship only what they can see... pity them, their ignorance, for what is unseen is just as real and... at times... ALL that is Real. Have faith, for nothing on this earth but your fear can harm you.”

LEAD ON I will follow
Although my wayward ship be tossed and rolled
I will find no shelter from this troubled sea
No other place on earth to save my soul

During the author’s visit to Mickey’s home in Springfield, he demonstrated “how energy flows between people.” At a distance of one foot, he asked me to look him straight in the eyes. He gazed at me with one eye for a few seconds and both eyes suddenly. When he turned full vision directly on me, the energy flow was immediate and intense. Mick explained his view that people are “on different frequencies” and one’s frequency is transmitted by this energy. We can however be on the same wavelength as another person, man or woman, and this serves as a basic explanation of soul mate. The Radioman explained this is how prayer works - how Jesus hears everyone - sort of like a spiritual, wideband radio transceiver. The proposition that thought travels is not a novel concept. The narrative, though, illustrates how Newbury dug deeper into established hypotheses.

Starin’ out the window all I wish is
I could hear the words I’m hearin’ in my head
THE SAILOR

I know your sorrow I know your pain I know your need
THE FUTURE’S NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE

I wish that I
Could not read her mind
And see all her pain
HOW MANY TIMES MUST THE PIPER BE PAID FOR HIS SONG

(from C&S)
Go to Top of Page

Becka
Sitter

95 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  15:23:44  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I was told about San Diego's video clip of Mick and Joe's comment. Had to come check it out for myself!! Joe, thanks! A continuation of Crystal and Stone. I love all the tid-bits.
Love,
Becka (the "special" one)
I still have the book going round getting autographs. Guy Clark signed it a couple of months ago....

This room gets hot in a hurry.
So THAT'S why the flames are there... !!
Go to Top of Page

San Diego
Rocker

453 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  17:31:30  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Joe, the preacher speech took place in room 918 at the Village Green Motel for a PBS taping. It was a dark and cloudy afternoon and Mick was sitting in front of a large picture window. "...but you gotta be a good preacher, you know..." the grin when he raised his hand to the sky outside. At that moment the sun appeared blindingly.

"I can write songs and sing songs..." God bless him.

Love you,
Ro
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1678 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  17:34:19  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Road trips. Mythic fevers. Flash-card mirage. Hive of light around them. Desert towns where the cataclysmic mountains lay their minerals down beside a blur of smoke trees. Drifting sand with its cut-glass secrets.
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  19:52:24  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Rev Buckman discusses darkness...

Carmelita asked me why I chose to sit in the darkness so much.
I laughed and said that when I lost my family and my religion,
the darkness just kind of chose me.
I stood up and moved closer and we danced gently to a Newbury Waltz;
I could smell the sunshine on her.
I told her how apart I felt, how I lived but did not live,
how a veil separates me from the rest,
and that if she knew who she was really dancing with
she would leave.

She tossed back her aching beauty and laughed
and said, Don't you really know?
We are all like that, every one of us.

I try to believe her,
but belief is a strange and difficult thing this far into the darkness;
So far into it that I can hardly hear the music anymore...

http://youtu.be/naP6VX-k5Tw -- [Listen to it, Ailinn. Rev]

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 154  Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mickey Newbury Web Board © 2003 Mickeynewbury.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000