New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 149 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Becka
Sitter

95 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  14:11:35  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I love this one, Hank. I can't pick a favorite but it's close.
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  03:24:41  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I'm hitchin a ride to redemption
On this dark, hot July night
The quarter moon's three nickels short
The neon's not much light
Townes and Zevon feed the engine
Newbury's driving this old train
I find myself smilin a bit
As the sky begins to rain

It seems the rails end up ahead
But Mickey only smiles
He's made this trip many a time
His soul's walked evry mile
So many times I needed an ace
But only drew a seven
Tonight's the night I win the pot
Headin for the last bar in Heaven

At the last bar in Heaven
The shows they never end
You can always find a friend
There's no one getting stoned
It always feels like home

Seems the old friends always find me
When the darkness fills my soul
It doesn't take but a song or two
And I'm feeling almost whole
Forgiveness and redemption's
What my old heart needs tonight
This train I'm on will carry me
From the darkness to the light

The shows will never end
You can always find a friend
There's no one getting stoned
It always feels like home

The shows they never end
You'll always have a friend

Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2012 :  08:51:41  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I Have Come to the River to Pray. New version done by a sober Rev Buckman. It needed to be done, whether he liked it or not....

http://youtu.be/nMBt2xRrDNY
Go to Top of Page

Grania
Rocker

104 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  17:17:47  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I love hearing this again. Hitting the road in the morning. Sweet dreams, New York. TDGB.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1566 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  17:21:16  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Night work. Parallel world. Dusk to dawn invention. Dreams and plans and dragons. Trains and faith and salvation. "...jus' more or less doin' the day..." you said. "Brain stew, baby, hahaha... What's drippin' in the pan this moment..."
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1566 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  17:29:41  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
You were standing at the table with coffee...eating strawberries and snapping my recipe cards like a hand of Solitaire. "Hah! Red-eye gravy on Black Forest Cake!" You grinned and flexed the deck like a riverboat gambler. It was February and the first strawberries were out of the fields for Valentine's Day dipped in chocolate. There were glass beads strung on fish line trembling in the kitchen window. Scribbles of wispy fog between the house and the ocean. The hush and refracted light from all that condensed moisture. "...we're in the clouds," you said, and closed your eyes.
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  14:22:30  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Years they pass, scars they show,redemption draweth nigh
If it wasn't for the moonlight no one would see us cry
Love comes to town once or twice sometimes it even stays
Like the circus,roll the tents,the clown's the one who pays.
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  14:26:25  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
She crawled into his bed from the corner of his mind.
The piper played, the couples danced,the music struck him blind.
Milk and honey filled the days, coke and whiskey fueled the nights
They tore down all their castle walls
They kicked out all the pretty footlights
Go to Top of Page

San Diego
Rocker

430 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  18:15:21  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
April is Poe month in San Diego. A month-long Shades of Poe Festival sponsored by the SD City Library and Write Out Loud. Dramatic readings at selected trolley stops. Last stop is Historic Old Town. "...But we loved with a love that was more than love..." performed by a theatre group in raven-black across the street from Whaley House, the most haunted house in North America. I LOVE POE tee shirts for sale at Bazaar del Mundo. One listener says, "I love Poe! He's totally awesome! Crazy-dark before dark was cool!" Wonder what Poe has to say about that...
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  18:03:44  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
A humble attempt at A Long Road Home. Not that it ever needed to be done again, but I simply love showing off Mick's words standing alone. May God forgive me...
http://youtu.be/O2fmfnYrDig
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2012 :  18:57:30  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I sit in the dark, in the back of the room,
watching the movie run.
Whatever it was, it was, and no longer is
and all apologies in the hope of redemption
help keep it where it was and not here
where it and we should be...

For me a saloon was always a cathedral
that bestowed Heaven and hell,
[with colored lights and fuzzy, lipsticked faces]
all in the same night.
Every night.
For the Seventies and half of the Eighties.
After a break, and the disappearance of all I held dear,
two decades of high octane madness, ending,
not with dramatic events, but with the smell
of death coming from the razors and mirrors
and the amber bottle that talked to me every night
in the back of a darkened room.

The darkness lives on, but in the black hearts
of the thugs that run this planet and the forces
that give them sway. The dust will bury them
and the wind will sweep them away.

But not today,
and that's all that matters most of all.

That, and the faith, hope and aching desire
that there is more.

Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1566 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  18:31:53  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Old Storyboards in the city of Frankincensco-

"Art is mystery. Part heartbreak, part magic, part desire..." He turned up his collar against the cold. A fine mist in his hair and on his shoulders.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1566 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  18:38:12  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Fog in the evening. Huddled trees. A fretwork of broken branches. Clotted rust on the finials of the wrought iron gate. A confusion of counterfeit keys. There were nights when the demons came to do battle and the ocean whispered of shipwrecks and disaster. Nights when apocalyptic clouds rolled in and the sky was full of dark wings. He would stroke his brow trying to quiet the tangle of thoughts there. He would break off a piece of his heart. Blood on the page then. His blood.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1566 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  18:40:34  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
When the rain was finished the moon peeked in, its shadowy face showing through. Starbright the sheets he slept on.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1566 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  18:44:07  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Last light. Effervescent. Shimmering the trees. Hazardous moon in the courtyard. A spider spinning lace in the jasmine. Lava lamps in the lobby of the Blue Shade Motel. Souvenir snow globe on the nightstand. Your shine and blue heart way.
Go to Top of Page

BarbraG
Windchimer

1802 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  20:53:56  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
What spinners of words you and Hank are. Love to read you.
Go to Top of Page

San Diego
Rocker

430 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  21:49:39  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hey Barb. Happy to see you here. Let's share a cup of tea, you and me. Hope you are well. You and all the folks you love. Big X's and O's.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1566 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2012 :  17:27:32  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
She's standing on line waiting to pay the rent in Eden. Her candy-apple dress a crimson prison. "It takes practice to be spontaneous," she says. His gaze so grave. Her smile so free and brazen. He pulls her close. Licks her cinnamon-smeared thumb. She sets the pie before him. History. Gates wrought in iron. And no paved road out of The Garden.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1566 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2012 :  18:32:09  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"Soooooo... Start at the beginning this time..." he says. Long ago tucked away snug in my canopy bed. Cows jumping over the moon, dishes chasing spoons across the wallpaper. Raggedy Ann in her maple rocker and starched white pinafore. I grew up in hotels I thought were my house. The chefs let me draw at the long stainless steel tables. Sugar bowls set before me filled with sharpened pencils, orange sections, and figs. They chopped and stirred, argued Sweepstakes and Revolution. Waiters rushed in and out of the swinging doors with platters held high or on fire. But the curtain came down on that life. First graves. And I became diligently deliquent. A pain in Sister's rosaried side. Running away to the train that shot me back to Grand Central. "A sharp stone in my shoe," Sister scolded. Polish the pews and press the altar cloths. Miles of confession. Lessons in genuflection. "Make sure that knee touches the floor for a heartbeat." Innocent life for years. Convicted and sentenced. "...get up in the middle of the night...write it all down for me," he says. How long is a heartbeat? How does he know what happens in the middle of the night? This most dangerous man.

Edited by - Ailinn on 05/27/2013 09:45:20
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  09:23:52  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I sit with her in the darkness. I wait for the one that they say is looking for me.I am more than armed; gun in one pocket,Bible in the other. Whiskey in my belly. I can stand the silence no longer; I take the Bible out and lay it on the table; I take the gun out and hand it to Carmelita; I take my jacket and collar off and remove my hat. I am ready To DANCE.

I pirouette around the room as she watches, shaken, stunned at first.
I collapse into my chair laughing like a madman.When I feel the Spirit
in me like this,I Must Fight or make mad,passionate love,or DANCE.

There are times I do not favor one over the other,
but I LOVE to DANCE...

Rev B
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 149  Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mickey Newbury Web Board © 2003 Mickeynewbury.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000