Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 161 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

buckman
Firefly

USA
2705 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2012 :  05:26:33  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
They tell me I need to make a "fearless moral inventory" and seek forgiveness.
There are some sleeping dogs in dark corners I don't want to or have to kick.
There are some movies that come back on their own, nite after nite,
a running dialog with myself and whatever Gods are still listening.
There are some things I don't want forgiven, wanting the
sharp edge of their memory cutting me, shaping me,
forging me over the coals.

The basement in Pittsburgh, huddled in filth,
hiding from The War.
The beach in California where I "died."

His body on the road.
Her face when I told her.

Saying goodbye to Martina, laying in a bed
in the back of a truck.

The abuse heaped upon the ones I loved
and myself.

The selfishness, the cowardice, the weakness, the stubborness.

The turning away,
the lost years,
the rivers crossed at nite in the darkness.

Maybe someday I will find that there really is
A God that forgives.
For now, it's up to me to have the courage to
leave behind the failures and move on
with strength.

You can't be Too strong...

http://youtu.be/ZxdXN74cXTA
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1850 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2012 :  19:43:16  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
His boots came down in the desert dust, hard-heeled, take that! and that! Duct taped booth in a low-watt corner. Tobacco-stained pinata pinned to the wall. Christmas lights blinking in late July. Maps on the table. 90 octane at the pump where the curved Earth pulled them into the sky. Past the Lost Oasis ALWAYS OPEN sign. Faded flags waving over the door. How the mountains ground down to sand around them. How the star-strewn dark flew AM music in.

Edited by - Ailinn on 10/13/2012 14:47:49
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1850 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2012 :  19:46:02  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
They're still out there. Her head on his shoulder, his hand on her knee when he pulls over and turns the lights off.
Go to Top of Page

Doug L
Firefly

Canada
5432 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2012 :  23:20:53  Show Profile  Visit Doug L's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Lou was a gypsy with a guitar. She had sun-honeyed skin that stood out soft around a jack-knife scar. Lou had what must have been a pretty voice once, but now had wind holes in it where sorrow got caught and rain leaked in. She'd blow into Gipper's once every few months when the road brought her back out to the coast, and for a half-hour she was the female ghost of Hank Williams, singing original songs of no-fixed address weariness, lovesick and lovelorn blues, smudged with that bruising kiss of alcoholism and undying hope, every man in the room having to decide for himself if he'd rather be her lover or her long-lost dad. And Gip always paid her, whether the tip jar filled or not.
Go to Top of Page

Craig
Firefly

Kyrgyzstan
3790 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2012 :  19:40:08  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Yes, Hank...

They tell me but they don't know...

Craig
Go to Top of Page

rodeo
Swinger

USA
733 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2012 :  15:14:37  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
[quote]Originally posted by buckman

They tell me I need to make a "fearless moral inventory" and seek forgiveness.
There are some sleeping dogs in dark corners I don't want to or have to kick.
There are some movies that come back on their own, nite after nite,
a running dialog with myself and whatever Gods are still listening.
There are some things I don't want forgiven, wanting the
sharp edge of their memory cutting me, shaping me,
forging me over the coals.

...then there are those who say, "don't keep beating a dead horse".
...well, some of my old horses just won't die...and others...I sorta feel like I have to keep beating for while...you know, just to make sure I've put them out of my misery.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1850 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2012 :  20:31:37  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply

We talked about guns. He thought I should have one. Because I traveled alone and often at night. "In the middle of one of the brightest cities in the world," I said. "...parking garage statistics, Ro... ...a little Smith & Wesson snub nose..." he said. You just have to wonder about circumstance and him not believing in accident or coincidence. Nights like that we'd drive out to the Dam. It made me dizzy just to look at it. Gypsy-long skirts that summer. Beach-bare feet. His hands. His mouth murmuring below the water.

Edited by - Ailinn on 01/25/2016 13:17:17
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1850 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2012 :  19:29:32  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Blighted Baja. Unexpected rain and no Blick supplies when she slices her finger on the X-acto blade. Blood on the blotter when he peels the wrapper off a Band-Aid and reaches across the table, "I knew it then. You knew it too..."
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1850 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2012 :  19:36:00  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The Boulevard glistens with neon. Compliments of the Dam. The painted Lady still lures. "I've been to the city. I've seen the city lights." And the curbside spangled sparrows. And the lonesome Blackjack crows. In a third-rate lounge off Fremont something green to drink. A chartreuse mirage shimmering in a smudged martini glass. "Happy Birthday, baby," the barman says. A case of mistaken identity.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1850 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2012 :  17:48:46  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
In a dark corner of the closet I see history. The stories held close so as not to unravel. "Save everything," you said.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1850 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2012 :  17:36:02  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"...of course it all happens too fast, hahaha. But that's the way of it."

MSN
Go to Top of Page

San Diego
Rocker

482 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  18:06:52  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Surf's up. And a lizard party on the patio. Labor Day I cut the labels out of my back to school clothes. Fastened Lilly-of-the-Valley size bells to my shoes with invisible fishline. So faint the sound, almost not there. Had I counted the allotment of breaths I would have been bolder.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1850 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  18:09:26  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
A shattering of glass on the parquet floor when his tablecloth experiment fails. "For my next trick..." he says, and winks.
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1850 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  17:53:46  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
He says, "Ask for childhood and a magic charm. A stone polished smooth by our fingertips. Yours or mine won't matter. We'll know it for what it is." Fire season. Tumbleweed uprooted. Sage spice and dry heat smell of chaparral. The road they travel is pocked with peril. A fault-line lies beneath them. September's canyons traced with fugitive slurry. Careful of what they can be careful of.
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2705 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2012 :  19:49:27  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Time was I had a dream
The sky was so blue
The meadow so green

A time in the fire of my youth
A time when a dreamer had time
For a dream to come true

Oh, but time is a handful of sand to an old man
While time is a warm place to stand for a young man
To stand hand in hand with a young girl
Watching the tide roll in

Time was I had a dream
Certain and sure
I could do anything

A time so long ago, once I knew
A place in my heart
Where a dream would come true

Oh, time is a rock and roll band to a young man
While time is a warm loving hand to an old man
A strong loving shoulder to lean on
And watch the children at play

Time was I had a dream
Time was I had a dream
My dream was to stand here and sing
Stand here and sing

I have had mountains
And mountains and mountains of sand
In the palm of my hand

Written by Mickey Newbury
Read by HB: http://youtu.be/PDVlC2AJyYo

Go to Top of Page

San Diego
Rocker

482 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2012 :  19:57:00  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Love it, New York. One of my favorites of yours, and of his.
Go to Top of Page

Becka
Sitter

95 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  15:42:25  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Rodeo Joe.....

"...well, some of my old horses just won't die...and others...I sorta feel like I have to keep beating for while...you know, just to make sure I've put them out of my misery
"

Beautiful!
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2705 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  17:51:41  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Time was I had a dream
The sky was so blue
The meadow so green

A time in the fire of my youth
A time when a dreamer had time
For a dream to come true

Oh, but time is a handful of sand to an old man
While time is a warm place to stand for a young man
To stand hand in hand with a young girl
Watching the tide roll in

Time was I had a dream
Certain and sure
I could do anything

A time so long ago, once I knew
A place in my heart
Where a dream would come true

Oh, time is a rock and roll band to a young man
While time is a warm loving hand to an old man
A strong loving shoulder to lean on
And watch the children at play

Time was I had a dream
Time was I had a dream
My dream was to stand here and sing
Stand here and sing

I have had mountains
And mountains and mountains of sand
In the palm of my hand

Written by Mickey Newbury
Read by HB: http://youtu.be/PDVlC2AJyYo

Go to Top of Page

Illiance
Starting Member

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  22:17:00  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Great vocal interpretation... thanks Hank

Illiance
If it wasn't for Procrastination, Chaos would be my best friend... j.stone

Go to Top of Page

Craig
Firefly

Kyrgyzstan
3790 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  17:43:47  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Illiance

Great vocal interpretation... thanks Hank

Illiance
If it wasn't for Procrastination, Chaos would be my best friend... j.stone

Illiance...

You have NO idea how much it means to me to see you post here...again. Please, pal. Don't be a stranger. Mean it...really. We all, miss your company...I can speak for us all.

Craig
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 161  Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mickey Newbury Web Board © 2003 Mickeynewbury.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000