New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 150 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Ailinn
Windchimer

1591 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2011 :  22:49:43  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Many nights in and out of morphine dreams through headwinds and crosswinds the sky embraced him. He had no fear for there was nothing left to be afraid of. And when he finally looked down from his astral perspective and saw the runway lit with burning tires, he pulled back on the throttle and adjusted the flaps. He skimmed the treetops and flared the nose and touched down. When he taxied in, the vaqueros raced their wild horses beside him cheering and shooting their pistols into the air.
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  08:15:27  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
It must have been the summer of 1971, because Albert was still nineteen. Working the 6 pm to 6 am shift at Bud's Taxi in Nyack. 12 hours on, twelve hours off, seven days a week. It was great if you were young and didn't need to sleep and had some,um, stimulants. He would get off at dawn and walk down to the new luxury apartments on the Hudson and sleep a few hours on a waterbed with one of the crazy girls he hung out with in those days.

One nite, about 2 am, the Red and Tan bus from New York pulled up and They got off. A drunk blond and a skinny guy with a big afro. The other driver was on his way to the airport so it was all Albert. They wanted to go to the black "resort" up on the mountain outside of town. [The boys used to go there when they were fourteen to get rum drinks because the only thing that mattered to Valentine, the bartender, was the color of your money, not your skin or age.He'd give them 151 Bacardi and make em fried chicken and became a lifleong friend until his liver caught up with him back in the Eighties]

The guy growled at Albert to wait until he was sure they could get a room and he noticed that he seemed to have a pretty good hold on her arm, but just figured it was to keep her on her feet. A few minutes later, the blonde comes out of the door fast and jumps in the front seat and tells him to get them both out of there as fast as he could. Albert hit reverse, hit drive and didn't stop until he got to the taxi office.

He was a little disappointed that all he got was a kiss on the cheek
and a "knight in shining armor" comment, but he was pretty "sped up" at that time of the morning so he took events as they developed and the kiss put Albert up on the nite. She never told him what happened in there or what the story was or much else except to watch out for hisself for a good while and she got on the next bus heading back to the City.....

He sat at the dispatcher's desk in front of the big glass window with the door locked, feeling like a target, praying for the first time in a long time, hoping Mikey got back before trouble did... Every time some drunk walked by the window he jumped, until he saw the sun hit the top of the movie theater across the street.

When 6 am came, Albert cashed out with Bud's wife and headed down to the apartment building on the Hudson River for his space on the
waterbed without saying a word to anybody. What the Hell was he gonna tell them? Heck, he didn't know what happened hisself and he was there. He figured maybe it was a good time to go back to San Francisco, and later that day he packed his backpack and stuck out his thumb...

[Yeah, I know. I'm disappointed, too, but, then again,
Most of the time a Real story doesn't end, it just goes on.....]

Go to Top of Page

Becka
Sitter

95 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  14:22:16  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
And on..... and on....... and on..... and on.....
"if" we're lucky!
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  18:46:56  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
It's like nothing you've ever seen before.
It's like the feeling you get when you win.

It's like the first time you smell a woman's scent
on the back of her neck.

It's like being transported to another time
and place by a good book.

It's like like that first rush through your bloodstream
after years of denial and feeling alive and whole again
and hoping that there is a different result this time
and knowing there never will be.

It's like having everything you need
and nothing that you want.

It's like getting a puppy when you're eight.

It's like looking into someone you love's eyes
when they're angry and seeing Heaven and hell
at the same time for the first time.

It's like every other time-
time after time.

It's like everyday you have to learn how to live
all over again.
It's like the world is changing faster than
even my generation thought it ever could.

It's like waking up in a dark room and forgetting
who you are and trying to remember
the last dream for a clue.

It's like being poor as a kid, but having parents
good enough to keep it from you.

It's like drowning,
but still you keep your mouth open.

It's like Chet Baker singing.
It's like Billie crying.
It's like Motown's backbeat
It's like a Newbury song on a Silver moon night.

It's like everybody is shouting at once sometimes.

It's like a double rainbow over the Hudson.

It's like running in quicksand but making progress.

It's like nothing and everything you thought it would be.
It's like nobody I know is ever going to give up.

It's like it's about time.

Yeah. That's what it's like.
Go to Top of Page

BarbraG
Windchimer

1802 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  20:26:59  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
When you're 10, you want to be 13. When you're 13, you want to be 16. When you're 16, you can't wait to be 18. When you're 18, yep.. you just want to be 21. But, I have YET to hear a 21-year-old say, "I just can't WAIT to be ...... 22 !!" When you're 27, you're looking at thirty .. When you're 30, you might be getting ready for a mid-life crisis (or two). Wait !!!! Go back a few words ... Did I say .. when you're "27" .... ? .. Now, where in the world did that number come from ..
Go to Top of Page

BarbraG
Windchimer

1802 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  20:35:52  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I hear the ocean in my brain, calling me to come. The waves are swelling and crashing inside my head, against the windows to my mind, where the door to my heart isn't far away. I must go down to the sea again .. where the endless water meets the endless sky - the red sky kisses the waves goodnight and the gold kisses them good morning. I see this through the eyes of a child, wondering and knowing at the same time ... just how big God is.
Go to Top of Page

BarbraG
Windchimer

1802 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  20:47:40  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hank inspires me ..

It's like looking in the mirror and seeing an old lady and knowing you're still young.

It's like walking as if you have no where to go and all day to get there.

It's like wanting peace so badly that you're willing to fight for it.

It's like the softest music in the world makes the loudest noise.

It's like walking downstairs backwards and pretending you're walking up.

It's like singing a song so loudly that no one can hear it.

It's like having a new baby brother and thinking all Dad sees is him.

It's like loving someone so much that it .... hurts.

That's what it's like, Hank. That's what it's like, Dear Heart.

Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  20:17:27  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
She was a long lost reminder
of the man I could've been
The doors I should've walked on by
The ones that drew me in
Everyday another mile
Further from that dream
Reminding me that flesh & blood
Are not all that they seem

She stumbled in late that night
When I'd given up the chase
I'd put oceans of whiskey down
But had one more for the taste
They all look like angels
When it's quarter after three
Her eyes were used to darkness
A warm body filled the need

It's a tunnel running nowhere
I love the life I lead
It's me that flies and me that cries
While those around me bleed
Evrytime she made that sound
I touched her deep inside
The water's getting colder
The river seems so wide.

She was a long lost reminder
of the man I could've been
The doors I should've walked on by
The ones that drew me in
Everyday another mile
Further from that dream
Reminding me that flesh & blood
Are not all that they seem

Go to Top of Page

BarbraG
Windchimer

1802 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  20:52:30  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Wow !!

Love the way you write, Hank ...

BGee
Go to Top of Page

Becka
Sitter

95 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  07:11:46  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
All women are angels at 3am when you look at them through whiskey eyes, don't 'cha know?

It's the 10 o'clock wake up that spins your world around.

Good job, Mr. Rev.
Go to Top of Page

Becka
Sitter

95 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  07:16:29  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Barb,
I relate to every "like".........
Especially the mirror!
Beck
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1591 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  18:18:57  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Things old and forgotten consoled him. The Romany wagon with double Dutch doors. The Celtic scroll on the brackets. Heavy brocade wallpaper and the Queenie stove. A kettle of broth for what ailed him. Now the firelight on the bowtop was picking up hints from his profile. She kept trying to catch her breath, bouyed by the bells on her water-logged shoes, adrift on his strange ocean.
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  04:53:00  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
So, Albert went on to say,
"Don't let a battered soul ruin a good life.
All the days count, you know."

We'll see, I said, We'll certainly see..
Go to Top of Page

rodeo
Swinger

USA
733 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  22:29:42  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
No one sat with me...ever. Everyone knew that...so the "kid" was obviously new in town.

"Not much goin' on around here, is there?
When's the last time you had any fun?
Hey, are you listening to me...are you gonna answer me?"

"I'm thinking".

"You don't have much to say, do you, big Boy?"

"Call me that again...I'll kill you".

"Man, what's your problem?"

"She used to call me that".

"She...who the hell is she?"

"Too many questions, punk".

"You think you can call me punk and get away with it?"
He stood and drew his gun in the same motion. I didn't stand.

His last question?..
"Mama...?"

Damn, part of my drink spilled...

Edited by - rodeo on 08/16/2011 07:17:28
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1591 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  22:59:29  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
He rode three days across the high desert
When he arrived he knew everything
He showed me a card trick
And he told me a joke
He told me to keep away from the window
When I took the bullet out of his chest
He didn't flinch or change his expression
When he made me lay down beside him
His sleep was ahead of the posse
He has scars that shine in the moonlight
Brighter than the rest of his skin
But I can't tell you what he looks like
It was dark
Or his hat was pulled low
And his mouth was covered
With a bandana

-for Rev and Rodeo and days gone by...
Go to Top of Page

rodeo
Swinger

USA
733 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  08:14:26  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I didn’t look back all that much….didn’t look forward either.
I would, however, look up from my Bible when the bottle was empty; they’d bring me another one. They told me I was good for business. Go figure?!
I usually went out in the street to meet the ones who came to put an end to my misery.
Twice, I tried to help them.
I drew, pointed at the ground in front of them, fired, then looked at them in dismay as they shot…missed….then shot again. They both did this little nervous thing with their eyes….looking side to side as if to see who made them miss a shot they’d been making for years…at cans…and bottles and old dogs. Pitiful. Most dogs don't shoot back.
I’d shake my head, fire my second round; turn and go back to my table.
I really felt bad for ‘em… Really!
The “kid” was the only one who didn’t make me get up and walk outside.
I appreciated that.
Most of ‘em said something like, “Get up, sumbitch…get out here”….or something worse. Whatever happened to manners?
I always told them to go practice some more. They always thought they were as ready to kill as I was to die.

I didn’t really mind being called "sumbitch"...

...only one other person had ever called me “Big boy”.

Go to Top of Page

rodeo
Swinger

USA
733 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  09:43:37  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Go to Top of Page

Ailinn
Windchimer

1591 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  19:25:55  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
We've been friends long enough, he says
Patting the tortillas dry
Letting some cigarette ash fall into the cornmeal
I look up from the shredded lettuce and cheese
He gets edgy when I don't meet his eyes
So I look up
But I don't say a word
Hey
No use fishing for trouble
Go to Top of Page

BarbraG
Windchimer

1802 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  21:23:07  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I liked what you wrote up there, Rodeo ... very good .. FINISH the story ..

BarbraG
Go to Top of Page

buckman
Firefly

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  18:31:36  Show Profile  Visit buckman's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 150  Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mickey Newbury Web Board © 2003 Mickeynewbury.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000